Sunday, November 8, 2015

Ten Things of Thankful

Some weeks seem to be a lot like other weeks and that can be considered a good thing or  something  kind of mundane.  That is where Ten Things of Thankful comes in.  This blog hop is a great opportunity to really think about the experiences one has had during the past week and realize that there are some things that can be considered grateful moments. Even if these have been mentioned in previous posts, that is okay.  They are your blessings.  I'm linking this post to the weekly blog hop Ten Things of Thankful hosted by Ivy and numerous other co-hosts.

1.  Monday I had a luncheon date with a friend.  I've gotten to know her a little at church, but hello and how are you in the hall or after a meeting doesn't allow one enough time to get to know someone.  It was good to visit with her over lunch.

2.  A roofer came on Tuesday and fixed the leak in our roof we discovered last weekend.  It wasn't raining when he came, so we were only able to show him where it had been leaking in the house.  He thought that he fixed the problem.  YEAH!  (On a side note, heavy rains came again yesterday.  The leak started in again in the same spot, so I guess I'll have repeat thankful for my TTOT next week after it gets fixed again.)

3.  My husband and I went to see Bridge of Spies on Thursday.  That is a great movie!  We are huge Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg fans.  There is a line from this movie that kind of sticks with you and made me laugh as it was repeated throughout the movie.

4.  Friday I went to another accordion concert at the nursing center with my Mom.  There were lots of smiles on the residents' faces as they listened to the peppy music from yesteryear. It always brings me joy to see Mom smile.

5.  My husband and I bought a starfruit (also known as a carambola) at the grocery store this week.  We've never eaten one.  That will be our snack tonight.  It is fun to try something new, and thanks to youtube I know how to cut it.  Have you tried eating a starfruit?  Did you like it?

6.  I'm thankful for things that make me laugh, like a huge fish, maybe a salmon, on the ground along the road near a busy intersection on the outskirts of town.  Normally there are panhandlers standing near this spot, but there were none there at that time.  It made me wonder though if someone had given them an uncooked fish???

7.  I mentioned last week that I have a begonia that was beginning to bloom, but apparently it has the last laugh.  I was hoping to share a photo of the large blossom this week.  It isn't the kind of bloom I was expecting, but I've grown to like it.  I'm not sure what kind of begonia this is.

The petite blossom is very pretty.

8.  I was recognized as Author of the Week at Julia's 100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups on Nov. 2, 2015.  This is such a fun blog hop which encourages the writer (age 16 or over) to tell a story in exactly 100 words using the prompt.

9.  Attending the wedding reception of a neighbor and seeing the happiness of the bride and groom is always a joyful occasion.   I'm so glad I was able to be there.

10. Popcorn! The love of popcorn goes a long ways back in this home, and my husband is the one who usually makes it.  That's just our tradition.  I can't eat very much of it, but not because I don't like it.  It doesn't apparently like me too much, so I limit myself to a small bowl of it.  Making it into caramel corn would taste even better.

I won't give this one a number, but I'm really thankful for my family, my church family, neighbors and friends (and that includes my blogger friends too).   People need people.


14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on blogger of the week! We saw Bridge of Spies last week, and also enjoyed "Would it help?" I don't think I have tried starfruit, but I definitely love popcorn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Kristi. Tee hee, yep that was the question! The starfruit has a taste that is hard to describe. The texture is also different than anything I've eaten. I do like it.

      Delete
  2. (they've) 'been taught to fish', perhaps? yow, that would be an excellent allegorical inference for such an odd scene!

    sometimes houses act like cars when there's something wrong, they only exhibit the problem when there is no one around who can fix it!
    good Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Yes, I think that setting of the fish by the road could be fodder for another story.
      I so agree with your comparison of the cars to houses.

      Delete
  3. I might just have to see that movie to learn the line that made you laugh. It is in the mundane, that gratitude is most revealing, I think. The only starfruit I've ever seen was used as a garnish on a fruit salad. I don't recall eating it or the taste. Congratulations on your blogging success. I'm going right over to the link to check it out. Have a good week, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The starfruit is a hard fruit to describe as to its taste and texture, but it is something I will buy again once in a while.

      Delete
  4. After seeing the trailer, I thought I'd like that movie, but it's good to know someone who saw it and recommends it. Now to find the time to go see it...
    Good luck getting that roof fixed. It can be a frustrating process sometimes!
    I enjoy popcorn, too, but I rarely eat it at home. Now that my boys are out of Boy Scouts, we may never have it at home again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to chuckle at your comment about popcorn and Boy Scouts. Did they sell it, or just eat a ton of it when they got together?

      Delete
  5. Lunch with a friend and music...good. Leaks and heavy rains...bad.
    :-)
    Popcorn is a family favourite, as my mom always made it, sweet popcorn she called her creation. You are correct. People do need people, and popcorn, sometimes.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made the sweet popcorn in years, mainly because I'm the one with the sweet tooth, and it would be too much temptation.
      When I was a kid, I used to buy Cracker Jacks for a snack, but it isn't nearly as good as the homemade variety.

      Delete
  6. Lunch with friends always seems to brighten a day. And popcorn is just an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. In fact, I have another opportunity to get together for lunch with friends tomorrow, but it conflicts with a dental appointment, so I'm doubtful I'll be done in time to attend. :-(

      Delete
  7. Love your blog! You are an amazing writer!
    - Jayne Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne Ann. Thanks for visiting my site.

      Delete