Saturday, November 14, 2015

Ten Things of Thankful

Maybe if I hurry, I can get this written tonight.  Today I wanted to try to catch up on reading some of the wonderful posts others have written on blogs I have linked to, so in between other tasks, I read and commented.

But now I want to share those things I am so grateful for from this last week at the blog hop Ten Things of Thankful!

1.  I went to my first Craft Fair of the season, but it was more of a dash in and out to see a friend.  It is great to see all the various talents of others, and in this case it was the talents of those who attend a local senior center.

2.  I'm thankful for dentists, and in particularly my dentist.  Did you know that one needs to be careful  when cleaning a grill with a wire brush?  Sometimes a tiny bit of the brush might adhere to the grill and become embedded in the food.  When the food is eaten the wire sometimes enters the gums or possibly makes its way to the stomach.  This is not a good thing!  Now that is not what happened to me.  We don't really know the cause of the injury to my gum, but with a little repair via the laser, all is well.  The dentist told me of other possible causes, such as something as simple as a hard nut cutting into the gum, or possibly a toothbrush bristle.

3.  In our family we don't have to look far to discover those who have or are serving in the military.  I'm very thankful for their service, and for the sacrifice of their families.

4.  It has been wonderful to see all the encouraging words of support for those in other countries who have been so recently affected by the actions of others who have no regard for the sanctity of life.  It seems it is no different now than in all the years this earth has been populated that where there is good, there is evil, and so the need is still here for people to stand up for what is right.

5.  I continue to enjoy learning things I didn't know and use before, such as more shortcut features on the computer that make blogging so much quicker.

6.  I'm thankful for those who serve in law enforcement and the fire departments.  They do not have easy jobs and risk their lives to keep us as safe as possible.

7.  One of our son-in-laws has another book just out.  I'm thankful for the success he has achieved with his writing efforts.  (Note:  This entry has been edited, since the original post.)

8.  I'm thankful for those of my family and friends who travel a lot, that they didn't have travel plans this past week that would have put them in harm's way.  A friend was in one of the places just a few weeks ago.

9.  I'm thankful for my husband and how he and I are able to keep one another amused by the frailties that come with getting older.  Now mostly this applies to what we think the other has said, as opposed to what actually was said.  It can be pretty funny at times.

10. Well, I'm going to close this post with an updated photo of my begonia.  You may remember the other photos where I was amused by the very small blossom on my begonia that has never bloomed in all the years I have had it.  Little did I know.  It was not done, and I can tell now that it is still not done.  It is going to show me all it's glory!  Yes, I'm thankful for this little beauty.





18 comments:

  1. great list... My mother loves historical fiction especially Civil war... I just hit your link which linked to amazon and got it for her... shes pretty excited to get it! Thanks! love the little begonia shot... so sweet isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope your mother enjoys the book.

      Delete
  2. Pat, my husband and I laugh about the things he says, that I hear differently and vice versa. Very humorous indeed. The richness of the red begonia is beautiful. We plant begonias all around our Bradford pears in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, I'm so glad you can relate to that whole communication thing between husband's and wives. It makes me wonder if others hear statements we say as something different and are too polite to ask, and instead just give us a quizzical look.
      Our hillside gets too hot and dry in the summers for the begonias to do well, plus the deer find them tasty, so I don't even try to plant them outside anymore.

      Delete
  3. I am such a begonia lover. The color of that one is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! A good dentist is one of life's necessities; glad yours was able to help you.

    The begonia is gorgeous! Do you grow them inside or out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had much luck growing them outside, due to the deer. The one in the photo is an indoor plant.

      Delete
  5. That is a pretty begonia! I haven't been to a craft fair in ages, but that sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I may try to go to another fair, when I actually have time to browse more. That day, I just had a short amount of time and wanted to say hi to a friend who was selling some items for her sister.

      Delete
  6. Is this the second TToT that mentions a good dentist? That is definitely worthy of thanks! I need to call mine tomorrow...
    The begonia is lovely.
    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope the world has a good week too. :-)

      Delete
  7. Ah, what a beautiful flower with which to end your post.
    Yikes, glad you were able to get your gum fixed. That had to be painful!
    Being able to laugh at the things aging brings has to be the best way to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The gum is healed. It's amazing what a little laser treatment can do! Yes, laughter helps in so many ways. Hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the dental reminder.
    :-)
    I have eaten a lot of apples this fall while they were fresh and I fear too much acid from all that fruit has damaged my teeth. We shall see.
    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly eaten my share of apples and other fruit as well. I guess I always thought of some of the citrus fruits being more damaging to my teeth. Brushing one's teeth after eating when possible, or drinking water right after eating, when brushing isn't possible would help dilute the acid I would think.

      Delete
  9. Glad your gum is repaired and your begonia is blooming. I love begonias.

    ReplyDelete