Thursday, November 19, 2015

Cee's Compose Yourself Challenge: Week #7 Vertical Lines

It is time for me to try another challenge.  I'm linking this photography post to a blog hop at Cee's Compose Yourself Challenge:  Week #7 Vertical Lines.  At first I thought I had some photos that would work, but as I was selecting them, I also thought they weren't that interesting.  When Cee posted the challenge and I read her explanations about what kind of photos work well for this challenge, I went back to the drawing board and selected some other photos.  Here are the ones that I felt were more interesting than my first selection.



Unedited photo, before cropping so egret is centered

The eye is taken vertically from the reflection in the water to the body of the egret up its very straight neck and then to the top of the reeds. This is a very simple photo, but I really liked capturing the egret when its neck was so absolutely straight.  Having a better reflection would have made it even better.

Unedited photo, before straightening and cropping out bench and telephone pole


The eyes see the flowering tulips at the lower left, then the miniature windmill, the the fir tree, and then the wisp of a cloud. It would have been better if I'd had a little more of the cloud at the top. 


Unedited photo, before cropping some of the clouds and shoreline on left
The eyes move vertically from the water in sand to the steps of waves to the sunset to the clouds.

Unedited photo, before slight straightening

There are a couple of ways the eyes see this building vertically.  One is to go to the clock, then the windows, and finally the spire.  The other is to glance upward on either of the columns on the side of the clock and then move to the spire.

Unedited photo, before cropping on right side


The eyes may focus on the fisherman, then the pole by him, and the the tops of the trees across the river.  Another way to see vertically, is to follow the white tops of the poles and then to the tops of the trees across the river from the pole at the bottom of the ramp.


2 comments:

  1. A very wonderful post. I think you got it Pat. Thanks ever so much for playing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for your essay to help me better understand the concept.

      Delete