Ten Things of Thankful is a blog hop link up. Take a look to see what others are sharing too.
Once again I'm taking time to think about those things for which I am thankful, and for some reason it has taken me a bit to finalize my list. I really am thankful, so this shouldn't have been hard!
1. It was great to be able to go to the Portland Temple early in the week, and to be there with some of my friends. I'm not only thankful for that experience, but for the fact that I returned home before a really bad incident on the freeway happened that closed both lanes of traffic for a while.
2. Being able to go on a drive with my husband was fun. He wanted me to drive this time, so after looking at the directions, I felt I shouldn't have any problem finding a National Wildlife Refuge we wanted to go see. Somehow along the way, I became directionally challenged! I thought I was going north, and he thought I was going south. He was right! Somehow, in a fairly small town, I missed a turn that would have headed me in the right direction, and by the time I conceded that I really was going the wrong direction, we just started driving back home. I'm thankful for his patience and for going with the flow as we drove through places we hadn't been.
3. Growing up I remember going to cattle auctions at the outskirts of a small town. Then it was very small burg, and I don't even remember ever seeing the main street of the town. Well now it has expanded considerably, but in our meanderings (See #2), we drove right down the middle of this wonderfully historic section of town. One of these days, I need to go back when I can just get out and browse the little shops. I'm thankful for being able to review the past and also see the progress of towns.
4. Another area we went through has a little ice cream and sandwich eatery across from a park the size of a city block. I'd read online a little bit about this place, so it was definitely time for a break from the driving and time to get some nourishment. What makes this place fun is that they have a lot of interesting antiques inside and outside the place. It made me feel like I'd stepped back in time. I'm thankful for opportunities to try out new (to me) restaurants of the vintage variety.
5. We stopped at one of the usual National Wildlife Refuges that we go to and were excited about seeing a young family of American Kestrels. Unfortunately my photos, which I was trying to take from inside the car, were not ideal, nor was the lightning. It was sighting these birds at the end of our travels (See #2) that saved the day I think. I'm thankful that those birds were there to be seen!
6. Today I was able to go upstairs and downstairs with being able to actually bend both knees. Yeah! I was pretty excited to be able to do that at the moment, but the knee let me know later that maybe I shouldn't have been so in a hurry to try it. I'm thankful for every bit of progress. Hopefully, on Monday the doctor will be able to shed some light on what can or should be done.
7. Wednesday, my Mom was given a beautiful quilt that some of the women at church made for her. I'm thankful for those who try to reach out to her to help her feel loved and appreciated when she isn't able to attend meetings at church any more.
8. It was fun to be able to sit down in a park-like setting to have a old fashioned ice cream shortcake with fresh peaches. I'm thankful for this local country store. We were celebrating my husband's special day on that occasion, but with the hot summer days, that in itself is reason to stop there.
9. I was browsing some old music books in a store this week and found one that was an opera of Mother Goose rhymes set to music. It was very old, but I resisted buying it. Can you imagine that? I didn't buy it. I did read a little bit in the introduction about who Mother Goose supposedly is, which I found fascinating. However when I got back home and researched some more, I found that apparently no one knows for sure. I'm thankful for how every day we can learn something new. It is almost impossible for me not to.
10. Lastly, I am thankful for RAIN! We had some rain today, and we are supposed to get some more tomorrow, before the temperatures rise once again into the 90's.