Saturday, July 4, 2015

TToT: Ten Things of Significance

For my Ten Things of Thankful post this week, I accepted Kristi's invitation to post instead, Ten Things of Significance, or in other words to share 10 things in our home that hold significance to me.
Many things came to mind, but the following are the ones I chose to share.


I bought this in a thrift shop years ago and it reminded me of one of my favorite scriptures in The Book of Mormon ("And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27)  This beautifully stitched work on plastic canvas and discarded by another was just the thing I wanted in my home to remind me and others living and entering our home the importance of having a happy heart.

These days I find it easier to read my scriptures on my iPad, but I love having the actual book too.  Due to arthritis, I find holding the iPad easier to hold.  It is also nice to be able to enlarge the print on the iPad, and quickly look up references and check for similar scriptures elsewhere in the scriptures.
This piano is the one on which I took three years of piano lessons when I was in the fourth, fifth, and sixth grades.  Our family didn't have a piano, but my Grandmother (Dad's mother) thought if I learned to play the piano it would help me be popular.  (She was born in 1878 and probably had her reasons for thinking that way, perhaps friends being invited into a parlor to listen to someone play the piano.  ??)  Anyway, Grandma sent money to my folks so they could buy a piano for me.  I'm not sure playing the piano ever really increased my popularity, as it took me a lot of years before I was comfortable playing for anyone other than my family. After I was grown and married and was finally living where we had room for it, the piano ended up with us.  It has been a source of pleasure for me and our family.

When I was an adult and began writing to relatives and asking questions about our family history,  an aunt mentioned  a distant relative that might be able to enlighten me on the subject.  As a result of contacting him, I was able to receive a photocopy of a journal my Great Great Grandfather wrote when in was in his '70s.  The original was written on foolscap paper.  I've posted the first and the last page of his journal here.  I was especially touched by his words on the last page.  Those things he shared in his journal impacted me in so many ways, and when he wrote it, he had no idea if the things he shared would make a difference to anyone.  I'm sure he knows now, as I believe those who have passed on really do know of us who are still here on this earth.  

Quilt made by my grandmother on my Dad's side.   She probably made this quilt using fabric from the printed cotton flour sacks which were common for the time.  (I remember wearing dresses when I was little that were made from cotton flour sack material.) 



This beautifully crocheted bedspread was made by my mother-in-law and given to us as a wedding present.  She crocheted, knitted, and did embroidery work until she could no longer do those things due to arthritis.  Many were blessed to receive gifts of her handiworks.








These ferns in our home started out as one little fern which we got almost 50 years ago.  Of course it has been divided and repotted over the years.  They really seem to like where they are and I can't image our home without them.  There are many benefits to having house plants, besides just how they make a home appear.
After my father-in-law was no longer able to  do hard physical labors, he learned how to do hooked rugs and wall hangings in order to keep his mind and hands active.   This is one he did many years ago and gave to us.  It reminds me one is never to old to develop a new talent, and not to just sit around feeling sorry for oneself.

One of these vases belonged to one of my grandmothers, and the other vase belonged to my other grandmother.    The vases were passed on to me after my grandmothers died. I'm not sure how my grandmothers came to own the vases.  I do know that one grandmother often went to farm auctions, and the other grandmother frequented flea markets.  I do wonder if perhaps there could be some kind of other connection too.  One vase was hand painted in Germany and the other vase was hand painted in England.  One grandmother lived in a boarding house when she was in her teens.  The boarding house was owned by a German couple of whom she spoke fondly.  My other grandmother's mother was from a line that seems to go back to England (but is unproved).  I guess I'll never know the true story of these vases.

This battered old oak buffet has had quite a life.  We bought it from a family who had experienced some flood damage.  They had an old oak table and this buffet.  We bought both of them.  The buffet has been used to store baby clothes, blankets, toys, dishes, towels, kitchen items, whatnots, tools, and so forth over the years.  The top often seems to be a "drop it here" spot now.  (I had to clean things off to take the photo.)

We received this as a gift from my in-laws years ago.  I love being reminded of the strength and love of families and how every family crisis faced together can make a family stronger.  These are such good words to remember.
Now I am supposed to tag someone to do a TTofT: Ten Things of Significance for next week.  Val of My Virtual Vineyard have you already done a Ten Things of Significance post?  If you haven't, I would love to see your post.

16 comments:

  1. I think you should just do a 10 Things of Significance post every week, so that all this good information is written down! I knew most of this, but not all. (I never thought about the origin of the ferns, for example.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I could probably do another Ten Things of Significance if that is allowed. It was fun to do.

      I hadn't really considered the history of the ferns until writing the blog. It is pretty amazing.

      Delete
  2. Im with Kristi. ..that was SOOOOO enjoyable! The ferns are amazing! We have a bible the size of yours...I just love it! Really great post. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had no idea that blogging could be this much fun, although watching Kristi "grow her blog" did give me an inkling.

      Delete
  3. These things are so special. I loved the journal from your great, great, grandfather. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember how I excitedly awaited the copy of the journal coming in my mail and then painstakingly trying to read all the handwritten pages. He tells of personal struggles and overcoming them, things that happened to he and his family during the Civil War, and developing a closer relationship with the Lord.

      Delete
  4. Your ferns are so lovely, but so is that gorgeous hand-made bedspread. I adore things made with love.

    Your journal reminds me of a little treasure I have tucked away that I hope to someday frame for the wall. My grandmother with her flawlessly beautiful handwriting wrote out a family tree. I don't have the original, just a photocopy, but I hope someday to have it on my walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful idea of framing the family tree! Whenever you look at it you will be reminded of your family who came before you. I think they would like to know that you think about them and remember them.

      Delete
  5. Everything on this list is lovely. Especially love the two vases!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous piano, and I love how your grandmother thought it would make you more popular to be able to play it. I think you're spot on with your reasoning as to how she came about that claim.
    I'm sure those are flour sacks in your quilt; we have several in our family with nearly identical fabric, and I know they were flour sacks! Hand made quilts and crocheted bedspreads are a treasure.
    I love the buffet! It would go very nicely with my old table and chairs and secretary that are already in my dining room. And the buffet I have in there is often a catch-all as well, and I cleared it off to take a picture for MY 10 Things of Significance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I'm glad that we are the only ones with areas that become catch alls. LOL Thank you for confirming the idea that the quilt pieces were made from flour sacks. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. What a great post - these are always interesting lists. Your collection of significant items has such a strong sense of family and tradition running through. That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love reading the lists of others too. I have learned that the more I learn about my ancestors, the more I appreciate them and their descendants. It gives me a better understanding of exactly who they were and why, and who I am and why.

      Delete
  8. So many special things! I would have been beside myself getting a journal from my great great grandfather. That is so awesome. What a neat peek inside your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The journal was so enlightening. When one of our daughters was only three years old, I read a portion of the journal to her. I'd explained to her who wrote the journal. Then I noticed she had tears running down her cheeks. When I asked her tenderly why she was crying, she said, "When will I every meet him?" Then I cried too.

      Delete