Sunday, December 27, 2015

Ten Things of Thankful

This year has almost come to an end and it seems like I should do some kind of a recap.  Feel free to check out any of my older posts if you are curious why I started the blog, left it for a while, and then decided to resume posting here.  For now I'll just go forward posting those ten things for which I'm thankful this past week.  I'm linking this post up to the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop.

One more family I know had to say goodbye for now to a loved one, a 22 year old son.  He was loved by a lot of family and friends and will be missed.  I was glad that the family could feel the love and support of so many of his and their friends at the funeral.  I feel sad for all of them having to endure this kind of pain anytime, but especially at a time of the year which is so often associated with feelings of joy and gladness.  I attended this funeral three days before Christmas and am thankful for the knowledge I have that families can be together in the hereafter.

This past week was filled with heavy rains and strong winds.  Some people experienced power outages and downed trees.  Those who needed to travel for holiday gatherings sometimes experienced  difficulties reaching their destinations on time, or even safely.  Although in the lower elevations, we had the wind and the rain, the mountainous regions experienced very heavy snow falls.  The skiers were elated, especially if they were able to get to slopes.  I'm thankful that we didn't have any downed trees on our lane or on the roads we most often travel.  I'm also thankful that the 65 mph winds forecast for our area one day did not come.  There were winds, but not what had been forecast.

I tried another new recipe this week that I really enjoyed.  It was for a pumpkin-apple quick bread.  I loved the moistness of it.  I don't do a lot of baking of desserts and bread now, because of the need to avoid so many sweets, but I couldn't resist.  It was Christmas, and besides, we shared some of it!  Finding new recipes to try is always a thankful in my book.

Today someone mentioned a free online course that interested me, so this afternoon I registered for it.  I think it will help me in my gospel studies.  Click here for more information about free online classes.  Not all are religion classes.

A friend loaned a book to me the other day.  She said she really liked it and thought I'd like it too.  It is a Newbery award winner (2002).  The book is titled, A Single Shard, by Linda Sue Park.  It was written for those ages 9 and up.  I've just begun to read it and can tell I'm going to enjoy reading this.  I'm thankful for friends who know me well enough to know what I might enjoy reading, for instance, some children's books.

Photos of family members, whether posted on FB, blogs, calendars that are given, or school photos are much appreciated.  As a child I remember school photos being sent in Christmas cards to the relatives.  It was a tradition.  Now photos are shared much more frequently due to modern day technology, and we don't need to wait until Christmas to see how much someone  has grown or changed. Nevertheless, that Christmas tradition lingers, and I love it.

Speaking of photos. . .I played around a bit with the Nikon camera this past week and got a much better shot of one of the Christmas cacti.  (For those of you who may not know, Christmas cacti do not have any spines that poke.)



Whether spread by many miles apart, or storms that make travel impossible, families are able to still feel connected at Christmas thanks again to technology.  We felt that connectedness and love.

I'm thankful for the thoughtful gifts we have received this past week.  We feel nourished in body, mind, and soul.  We have felt gleeful surprise.  We have laughed.  We look forward to expanding our knowledge too because of you.  Our life has been made easier because of you.  We are thankful for the love and association of not only family, but of friends.

Now I'm ready to venture into a new year with a heart full of gratitude.  I hope you might consider starting the year off by sharing your ten things of thankful on your blog, if you have one, and then linking up.








14 comments:

  1. I am new to TToT, this is my first time participating. Your photograph is just gorgeous!!! Welcome back to blogging, whatever your reasons for taking a break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard! I'm glad you enjoyed the photograph!

      Delete
  2. That photo of your zygo cactus bloom is gorgeous! I used to sell the young plants (newly started) to growers. They were definitely a seasonal thing, and I'm not even sure anyone in Canada grows them commercially anymore unless they propagate their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty easy to start from existing plants. My Christmas cacti usually bloom at least a couple times between late fall and early spring.

      Delete
  3. Your photo of the Christmas cactus is astounding. Each year my son and his wife produce a calendar of family photos which is a treasure to me. We also attended the funeral of one who passed before his time and it was all the more difficult because of the season. Happy New Year, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the photo. My son is also the one who typically sends a calendar of family photos.:-) Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  4. Yes, thanks too technology. I remember years ago, I jotted down the things I wanted to say to my mom before I called her overseas because each minute cost more than a dollar. Now I can call her for free and have a video chat. She would show me live some items I may want so she could get them for me and my family as gifts. How cool is that? Have a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you can so easily communicate with your Mom now, and I'm sure that she enjoys that too. Happy New Year to you also.

      Delete
  5. Have a wonderful New Year's and look forward to more TToT with you and others in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you well too, Kerry. I always enjoy reading your TToT.

      Delete
  6. What a great photo of the cactus bloom!
    December is my very favorite mail month. I love getting all the photos and notes, especially because I'm very stingy with whom I will be facebook friends, so those once a year photos are the only ones I see for several.
    You are right about losing a loved one this time of year. It's hard anytime, but when it's supposed to be a time of joy, it just seems harder. Bryan's aunt is taking comfort in knowing that her father is now with her mother. He has missed her terribly these three years since she's passed, and this Christmas, he was able to spend it with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband had a sister who died in a freak accident at a very young age. The accident happened around Christmas, and that affected his family in a lot of ways that weren't good. Very sad. Sadly, it affected their faith. It is hard not to think of that incident when I learn of others who lose loved ones near Christmas.

      Delete
  7. So sorry for the loss of such a young man. My heart and prayers go out to the family. Glad you got to enjoy some of the holiday, is spite of it all..your picture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the photo. I hope you have a great new year.

      Delete