Sunday, December 13, 2015

Ten Things of Thankful

For this blog hop, all that is suggested is to come up with ten things you are thankful for each week.  I'm linking this post up to Ten Things of Thankful.


Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world.
John Milton

Since we have had so much rain and flooding in the northwest part of the country this week, I am thankful that we live at a slightly higher elevation, but not so steep an elevation that we have to fear a mudslide.  I'm also thankful that a lot of snow has fallen in the mountains this week.  Hopefully it will stay cold enough up there, that we will build up a snow pack over the winter.






There have been many people involved in rescuing people due to the flooding, toppled trees, fires caused by lightning strikes, etc.  They each certainly deserve our thanks.

This week my heart has felt the needs of others and in some cases, I've been able to help by actually doing something, but for others, I've only been able to offer up my prayers in their behalf.  I find myself wondering whether what I do is enough.

It is wonderful that we live in a day and a time when we have transportation to travel quickly to visit someone.  If we were living a hundred years ago, what now may take a half hour to do, would have taken most of the day then, depending on the terrain and the reason for the visit.

The roofers came and hopefully finally fixed the leak we've had.  Yeah!

Although it isn't quite Christmas, my white Christmas cacti decided to start blooming this week.  Now I have all three colors of cacti blooming at the same time.  That doesn't usually happen.  I usually have a straggler.







I'm thankful for the opportunities I have had this week to share our meals with others, and to try out a wonderful new Hawaiian/Philipino restaurant.  The food is very tasty, and we will definitely be eating there again or getting the take-out like we did this time.

Knowing that my daughters were able to spend a week together doing some fun things warmed my heart.  It really is a blessing to have grown children who really do enjoy being together and doing things together when they can.  I know that some families have strained relationships and it saddens me when I see that kind of a situation.

I'm thankful that I was able to do a little bit of decorating and a little bit of holiday baking this week, as well being the recipient of some treats and gifts from others.

At the nursing home on Saturday, a clogger performed for some of the residents.  I took Mom down to the dining room to watch the performer.  It was really fun to watch the clogger dance.  She had come from another state to perform so her relative, who is a resident at the nursing home, could watch.  What a treat this was for all who gathered to watch!



This is one of the many trees that has been decorated by the staff for the residents at the nursing home to enjoy.  This tree was set up in the dining room where the clogger was performing.



14 comments:

  1. "If we were living a hundred years ago…" this thought, believe it or not, often occurs to me, as I work in an area that that is 3/4s rural and it is not uncommon to drive for 45 minutes to get to a property. In the Summer I've been known to stop my car on a country road and walk away from the car and imagine having to walk back to my office. Given the terrain, and assuming it was before the 'Post Roads' being established, it might entail a full day, perhaps even a 2 day trek! very grateful for being born when there are cars and roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that way in some parts of this state also. I'm glad to be living when there are cars and roads too.

      Delete
  2. What did you like in particular from that Filipino/Hawaiian restaurant? I wonder.
    http://www.36hourworkweek.com/2015/12/December-season-give-thanks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a plate called the Adobe Plate Dinner, chicken pieces, some rice, and a vegetable mix, but I think what I really liked about it were the seasonings. I chose what I did because I'd read a newspaper review of the restaurant and the reviewer liked it. My husband tried another dish and liked it too. It was more of a sandwich.

      Delete
  3. It truly is a sad thing when there is tension in families. It makes me appreciate my own family so much.

    Your Christmas cacti are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. All the cacti are still blooming. They will all be in bloom for Christmas. :-)

      Delete
  4. Glad you were able to go see Grandma--I was wondering how flooded roads were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roads are still flooded and will probably be more so after tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. A wonderful list, Pat. My relationships with my adult children are my most cherished. Enjoy the season, and I hope the rain and flooding ebbs quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you enjoy the season too. It appears that the rains will not be letting up much. There is a very slight chance we will have snow at our elevation on Christmas day. There is lots of it falling at the higher elevations. The skiers are loving it.

      Delete
  6. I, too, am glad we don't live 100 years ago. I like being able to get to family in an hour or two, instead of an all-day trip. Conveniences really do make life better.
    I tend not to like any plant that can hurt me, but that's just because I can't see what I might be touching. I can always use a warning. I knew my mother had one in the corner of her dining room and I would stay far far from there.
    :-)
    Yes, when I hear of strained sibling or family relations I feel so sad for all involved. I am close with my own family and would hate anything less. It is lovely that your grown daughters like to have fun together. My sister is my friend and we do the same. Sure, there are time we drive one another crazy, but it never lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would only take once of touching a plant that hurt you to want to stay far far away from it. I'm sure you've had to learn a few painful lessons regarding your lack of sight.

      I'm glad that you and your sister are friends. :-)

      Delete