|Ground, shrubs, and trees covered with snow|
1. A time to bake
Monday was the day I realized how very patient the pumpkins given to me in the fall had been, assuming pumpkins have the ability to be patient. Typically most people probably would have either carved or eaten the pumpkins by now, but during a pandemic what is usual may deviate somewhat.
2. Finding a recipe online for Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal Cups (Muffins) that doesn’t have any flour in it
My husband and I really liked these muffin cups made with just milk, eggs, pumpkin purée, old fashioned whole grain oats, maple syrup, leavening, and spices and flavoring. These are so delicious and leftovers can be frozen to enjoy later.
|Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffin Cups|
3. Surprising firsts
While preparing some roasted pumpkin seeds, I guess some wanted to pop rather than roast. Most of the seeds ended up being too immature to consume, meaning there was no seed inside the husk. If we had little children around they could use the bowl full of roasted husks for some kind of crafting activity. When some of the seeds popped, I thought at first I had a fire starting in my oven. HaHa. So glad that wasn’t the case! The two or three that popped may have been the only ones with a mature seed.
4. A change of scenery
The weather forecasters said there was a possibility we would get snow Tuesday afternoon, but it would most likely be at slightly higher elevations. As it turned out, we got 3” in 2-1/2 hours and our hill was turned into winter wonderland for the rest of the day and evening.
5. Being able to hear in general, and specifically the calls of a very small bird as it flitted from one fir bough to another
Since I was only stopping at the mailbox and didn’t have my camera handy, nor binoculars to get a closer look, its call enabled me to be able to identify it later.
6. Parables from the scriptures and parables one recognizes from one’s own life stories
7. Two good documentary movies to enjoy in a single week
8. Receiving an email from an old friend, someone with whom I had not been in contact for maybe 20 years
9. A former student of my husband, someone my husband taught early on in his teaching career, taking a few minutes of his time to call my husband this week and thank him for the influence my husband had on his life
10. Vic and our family and the happiness I feel this day