Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Six Sentence Stories - Ocean

As it has been a while since I have walked on the beach, thanks to the prompt this week from Denise of Girlie On The Edge's Blog who is the host of the Six Sentence Stories blog hop, I get a chance to venture there with via my mind and keyboard. Though technically it is more ramblings, rather than a story, perhaps it will prompt you to do some musing. It is a relaxing adventure. This post is being linked to Six Sentence Stories - Ocean.


Low tide at the beach

At morn as the tide first rushes in and then out, I’m stirred to wakefulness.


Ready to explore the bounty of the seashore at low tide, I venture forth with eyes cast down not wanting to miss a single treasure below me.


Rough barnacles, shimmering jellyfish, starfish grasping to the sides of large rocks revealed by the receding waters, sand dollars, clam shells, glistening agates, and masses of colorful seaweed strung over and around soggy driftwood guide my path hither and yon.


Gulls, sandpipers, and dowitchers leave their impressions upon the waterlogged sand, imprints soon to be erased as the ocean reclaims its space.


The lingering smells clinging to my clothes after exploring the beach, are ones that take me back to where I had been.


My ocean and the images, smells, and sounds that are part of its world soothe my mind at eventide and permeate my space bringing with it peaceful slumber.




20 comments:

  1. Perfect! I easily envision your beach and walk beside you, Pat :) I no longer live close to the ocean and beaches and I miss them terribly. Your Six provides a lovely momentary escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad to provide a momentary escape, Denise.

      Delete
  2. I love walking on the beach, and you took me beachcombing today. Thanks, Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the the walk on the beach.

      Delete
  3. very effective... (now, being fortunate in where I live) I will totally go down to the beach today.
    thanks!
    ...good Six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you enjoy your walk on the beach.

      Delete
  4. When it is calm I find the ocean soothing as well. After looking up dowitchers I think I have been confusing them with sandpipers, but perhaps these are larger versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many shorebirds. I think it can be pretty confusing to correctly identify all of them, even looking at the books and the online sites to help identify them.

      Delete
  5. Feeling the sand chill beneath my feet, and the pull and release of waves on the shore.
    Thanks for sharing your daydream with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. The pull and release of the waves on the shore is a feel like no other, and in our parts, never, ever turn your back on the ocean.

      Delete
  6. It's always easy to sleep well after a day at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The imagery is perfection! I don't fully trust anyone who walks on a beach and doesn't look down at the sand as they walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect description of one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, Pat. A perfect walk. Seeing all that natural treasure on the beach against the soundtrack of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and what a beautiful soundtrack it is.

      Delete