Friday, January 1, 2021

Ten Things of Thankful

 It is New Year's Day and the beginning of a fresh new year waiting to see  what we all will do with this time we are given, and how we will interact with others. 

With that very short comment, I will precede to the purpose of this post. The one thing I hope will remain the same this year is my participation in this blog hop, because it causes me to do some reflecting on my past week, or sometimes just my life in general and express my gratitude in writing. I know that I benefit from reading what other contributors to Ten Things of Thankful have to say, if only to think, "Yep, me too."  Dyanne of Backsies Is What There Is Not is the host of Ten Things of Thankful.



1. For a FB friend who is also a distant relative mentioning a book she started reading

The historical fiction novel set during the French Revolution is a collaborative effort by six authors (kind of reminds me of the efforts of certain participants in the blog hop, Six Sentence Stories). The main characters are all women.


2. For Granny Smith apples

For many years I have used whatever pies I have had on hand to make apple pies. There have been very few, if any, that were made using Granny Smith apples. This New Year’s Eve I made one using Granny Smith apples. Other than cutting back on the amount of sugar and salt called for in the recipe, everything else was the same. Just saying, I won’t every use any apples other than Granny Smith’s to make pies from now on. Note: There is an interesting “apple genealogy” about the Granny Smith apple.


3. For being able to receive and give a little when there is too much of a particular dish for one household 

Being able to do both was a blessing to both parties.


4. For being able to participate in another family collaborated Spotify playlist, this time a New Year’s playlist

What are your favorite songs to listen to on New Year’s Eve? If you made your own playlist, did you add some songs that were particularly apropos for 2020?


5. For the many ways we have to watch movies we may have missed seeing when they were first released

On New Year’s Eve we watched a movie that was first released in 1993 and which we had never watched. I enjoy movies that are based on fact, as well as movies that make me think about the impact one's actions have on the lives of others. This provided both for me.


6. For some long phone conversations with some of my forever friends who no longer live in the area and with whom our conversations seem to pick right up from when we last spoke as though no time has elapsed


7. For products that have no expiration date

When both Vic and I were growing up, we were familiar with a particular product used to treat the udders of cows. The farmers who applied the balm also received the added benefit of relief from chapped hands. After we got married, we obtained some for our medicine cabinet, not because we had any cows then, but for some other reason or another. We don’t still have the same container as then. The date I wrote on the bottom of the current can says 10/2007, so it has been a while. This morning I decided maybe I’d try some on a small crack on my heel, since the regular salve I’ve been using isn’t working. Upon googling to see if there is an expiration date for the balm, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there isn’t! 


8. For the creative efforts shared by friends

One of our friends likes to write poetry and for a few years has blessed us with a book of his most recent unpublished poems each Christmas. We enjoy reading his writings which sometimes are about places and experiences with which we are familiar.


9. For the kalanchoe plants that I transplanted last June beginning to bloom

When I transplanted them I questioned whether really transplanting them into almost completely dry soil could possibly be the right thing to do, but I followed the experts and now I am looking forward to the red blooms expanding.


 Kalanchoe blossoming



10. 2021 with Vic by my side to face what come what may





You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. I always have used Granny Smith apples for apple pies and apple crisps, but I've read recipes from several different pastry professionals who said to use three different types of apple to make the best pie. I did this with the apple pie I made Thanksgiving, and I was disappointed with the texture and consistency of the non-Granny Smiths (can't even remember what I used, although I think one might have been Fuji). Never again! Granny all the way in the future!
    Yes, yes, yes on #6!
    We always have udder balm around (my dad had a farm supply store for over 30 years). I also love udder butter (or udder cream). It comes in a big jar and is buttery yellow and has a slight lemon scent to it. I used it on my belly when I was pregnant! It's a great moisturizer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a mixture of apples in a pie would be good, but after having only the Granny Smith apples in a pie, I am with you "never anything but Granny Smith from now on, unless there were no other options.
      #7 I didn't even realize there were other brands other than the one in the green can. HaHa.

      Delete
  2. Hello Pat...Granny Smith apples and 'apple genealogy'? Do share...I'd love to hear it. Your number 7 cracked me up as my daughter is constantly going through my things looking at those darn expiration dates! I also enjoy using the 'udder cream' from cows. I used that when I played the violin on my calloused finger tips. (thanks for that memory!)

    I wish you a wonderful 2021!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was referring to the "apple genealogy" I was referring to how it came to be that there is even a Granny Smith apple. The Granny Smith apple link in #2 will take you to the Wikipedia page where it will give you more information about both the apple and Granny Smith.
      I imagine that the udder cream would have been perfect for softening up the calloused finger tips.
      I wish you a wonderful 2021 too.

      Delete
  3. It's a wonderful list, and I'm especially curious about #7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you google udder balm, or udder cream, or udder butter, you will see several products that apparently work in the same way. The only one I have ever used is the one in the green can, but from the comments above it sounds like others have used the udder cream or udder butter too with good results.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, Granny Smith apples are great! And I smiled at your comment about the cow udder balm having no expiration date. Great list. Happy new year to you and Vic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Happy new year to you too.

      Delete
  5. I used to think Granny Smith's were too tart, but now I love them. Taste buds change with age and I guess mine aged into Granny Smith's. They are definitely the perfect pie apple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting how it seems taste buds change with age, but I know it happens.
      At one time my favorite apple was the Delicious apple, but now I think they are way too sweet.

      Delete
  6. The flowers are beautiful and I haven't baked in a long time but I would like to start with my son and if I do I will make a Apple Pie with Granny Smith Apples and share it with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a 'place' I've found no other that has the open, non-pressure social environment as I experience here in the blogosphere. Amazing.
    (Number 1 reminds me of the time you and Val and I wrote three views of the same scene as a Six Sentence Story)
    Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete