Thursday, July 26, 2018

Finish the Sentence Friday - A Photo and the Story Behind It

This blog hop gets me reviewing my photos looking for one that strikes my fancy, and stirs up some words among my brain waves.

Thanks to our host, Kristi Campbell of Finding Ninee, and co-host, Kenya G. Johnson of Sporadically Yours those taking part in the weekly blog hop, Finish the Sentence Friday, get to share a photo on the fourth Friday of the month. Click Finish the Sentence Friday - A Photo and the Story Behind It to see what other photos and stories are being shared this week. 




Three katahdin lambs

The words that came to mind were from a favorite childhood nursery rhyme, except in this case the words are not a true reflection of the purpose of raising these sheep. Katahdin sheep have hair on their bodies instead of wool, and naturally shed their hair after winter. The lambs are marketed for their meat.

Among this flock of sheep was a runt, one of triplets. (Sheep sometimes have twins, but triplets are rare.) It needed to be bottled fed for a while, and then another ewe sort of adopted it and let it nurse. It hung out with its siblings otherwise.

Alpacas or llamas often are kept within a flock of sheep as a protector of the lambs from dogs, foxes and/or birds of prey.

Have you ever eaten meat from a katahdin lamb?






8 comments:

  1. Interesting that there is a breed of sheep that doesn't have wool. No I've never eaten lamb of any kind. My parents because vegetarians when I was seven and even though I not one now I didn't go beyond eating poultry and seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know whether I've eaten meat from a katahdin lamb, but I have had lamb before. It was one of my favorite childhood meals until I realized that a lamb was a baby. Silly, but now I'm not much for it although I do love a gyro which has lamb in it. I also didn't know there was a breed of sheep that had hair instead of wool. Cute photo of the triplets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had lamb a few times. The first time I had it I didn't care for it because it tasted kind of gamey. The second time I had lamb I didn't notice the gamey taste. From what I am reading the hair sheep do not have a gamey taste, whereas the sheep with wool tend to have more of a gamey taste. Also some sheep just have a more of a gamey flavor.
      I like that photo also.

      Delete
  3. I don’t think I’ve ever had lamb, though I recently found a recipe that looks really good and has made me think about trying it. I only recently tried duck for the first time, and that was delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only eaten lamb a couple of times and the same with duck. I don't particularly like the gamey taste associated with some lamb, but I would like to try the katahdin lamb sometime as their meat supposedly doesn't have a gamey taste.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of them! And hair instead of wool?! To answer your question, I actually don't eat lamb at all. I'm not vegetarian but there are certain meats I can eat and certain ones I can't - due to taste or how much I love them as pets. I can't eat moose, lamb, or duck! (sad face)
    I love the photo. It reminds me of one of my favorite photos I've ever taken of three zebras lined up in a row!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly relate to not wanting to eat animals that you love as pets. My dad butchered one of our little kids (goats) when I was a child. I could not/would not eat it! Although I grew up on a farm, I did not become overly fond of any animal I knew would become dinner after the kid experience.
      I'm glad you like the photo. When I saw them lined up, I knew I had to take that photo.

      Delete