Sunday, April 22, 2018

Ten Things of Thankful

Does one need to wear rose colored glasses to be able to write a post for the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop at Josie Two Shoes' site? If it means seeing the world not quite as it is, then no, because I believe it is possible to realize that all is not perfect in the world, and still be able to recognize what is good. To see reminders, even signs, of what are important to remember, of what brings us joy, and of what helps us to want to keep on striving and living life in a wholehearted way is a quest we can all pursue. 

Some views as seen through the lens of my camera brought me these thoughts of gratitude this week. (Be sure to click the link above to see what others are grateful for this week.)



1. I am thankful for things that remind me of the past, like old farm machinery and the labors of those who tilled the earth and planted and reaped the crops so those who lived before us could survive, that we might even be.

Old tractors on display at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival

2. Snow covered mountain peaks are reminders that there is a better probability that the reservoirs will be full and there will be enough water for those at lower elevations this summer.

Mt. Hood as seen behind a rows of trees, and a field of green grass with a white fence edging a broad field of red, yellow,  white, and orange tulips


3. I am thankful for those who accept those who are different from them and appreciate them for who they are, just as they are.

A mass planting of reddish-orange tulips with one single yellow tulip among them


4. Everyone needs a friend. I am thankful for those who are willing to be a friend and who are loyal friends.

This is a black mouth cur that I met a few days ago. It is said that the dog in the book Old Yeller may have been a black mouth cur.

5. Sometimes it is time to shed what is old, like old clothes that no longer fit. I am thankful that I am making time to do that.

A fence lizard that appears to be shedding part of its skin on the right arm

6. Inner beauty is not always as easily seen, but by paying attention to the how people act in their everyday lives, one can often discover their inner beauty. I am thankful for opportunities to discover the goodness in others.

Yellow ruffle-petaled tulip with broad red stripes in the middle of each of the petals with the dark, almost black anthers and bright yellow stigma seen deep in the middle of the tulip

7. I am thankful for discovering that newspapers.com has a newspaper called The St. Paul Journal (St. Paul, Kansas) in their database. I love the feature that allows me to attach articles to my ancestry.com tree.

8. I am thankful for all the exercise I got this week by just trying on old clothes to see if they still fit, and repeating those actions over and over again.

9. Watching young people, and older people share some of their talents tonight at a church activity was an enjoyable way to spend on hour. I am thankful for those who plan, prepare, and practice in order to bring enjoyment to others.

10. I am  thankful for how my husband quietly did things here at home, and encouraged and allowed me to get away to go to a tulip festival with a friend this week.


 

12 comments:

  1. Excellent intro and in answer to your initial question, no. No rose colored glasses required. I really like your TToT! In particular your thankfuls with photo match up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise. I had fun using those photos.

      Delete
  2. The tulips are beautiful! It wasn't that many years ago that we went together to that festival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even remember how long ago it has been, but probably a yesterday ago or so. LOL

      Delete
  3. Your photos are lovely. I miss my would have been, should have been tulips. Maybe next year. My daughter and I laugh and say clothes shopping, especially bathingsuit/undergarment shopping is aerobic exercise. It always feel good to clean out what no longer suits us, in our closets and in ourselves. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aren't actually able to plant tulips on our place, because the deer love them!

      I'm so glad that I'm not the only one to feel that way about trying on clothes.

      Delete
  4. I really like tulips but always forget (or don't remember*) when its time go and buy the bulbs which I understand is done in the fall rather than the spring?
    Great descriptions.

    *no, not necessarily the same thing, one is oversight, the other is lack of focused effort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That whole timing thing of when to plant certain bulbs is tricky, especially when they say such things as so many weeks before the first hard frost. The date of the first hard frost can vary quite a bit from year to year here.
      I'm glad you enjoyed the descriptions.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos and wonderful thankfuls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for your numbers 3 and 4 and that there are so many different colours of tulip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly amazing how many different colors of tulips there are, and I didn't even take photos of all of them!

      Delete