Friday, February 11, 2022

Ten Things of Thankful

In a normal world there are ups and downs of life, and although there may be some people who seem to have been born with a Pollyanna attitude, most of us have to work at it. This is where an exercise of searching for something good in the midst of the whatever ails you, or whatever horrible news you have just heard, etc. comes in. This is a blog hop where other bloggers write a post of 10 things (give or take a few) for which they are thankful, and then link up to Ten Things of Thankful hosted by Dyanne of Backsies Is What There Is Not





1. Opening an envelop this week which I almost didn’t

Usually the mail in our street address mail box is junk mail and when I saw the printing on the outside of the envelop my first thought was that it had to be some kind of a scam. For one thing the company name was one I recognized as one that didn’t even exist anymore, or so I thought. If I had just torn up the envelop before reading what was inside, my action would have led to results that would have been problematic.


2. A very helpful customer service representative

She calmly said we had been victims of a scam and reassured me I wouldn’t have to pay the bill on the statement that was inside the envelop mentioned in #1.  I was told the matter would be handled by the company’s fraud department. After she gave me the link to use to report the fraud to the federal government, as well as some other helpful information, I felt armed with the tools I needed to proceed.


3. The link was easy to navigate

For anyone who has had to fill out online forms, you probably have found a wide variance in the ease of navigating the sites and going through all the steps before submitting the forms. This site couldn’t have been any easier.


4. Wry humor

I saw a post about Jan. 31 - Feb 4, 2022 being Identity Theft Awareness Week.


5. Flatbread pizza

We had never eaten flatbread pizza until this week, and it was a hit! 


6. Discovering a new DNA match that cleared up a question as to the name of one of my maternal Great Grandfather’s sisters


7. Names that send me searching for the origin of the name

In this case it was the given name for the sister of my great grandfather. The name of the one-year-old female on the 1870 census was listed only as J P, and on the 1880 census was listed as what I thought was Fanna or Fannie. Her descendants believe her name was Peninaha or some variation of that spelling, but she went by Nina on the succeeding census records. In going back to that 1880 census page and finding a name that was Patsy, I noticed that the “P” in Patsy looked the same as the first letter in the name I had misread. Often with the swirls of the handwriting of the time, it takes a careful study and comparison to other records to discover the truth of the matter and in this case a DNA match to set the record straight.


BTW, I learned that in the Old Testament, in 1 Samuel 1:2 Penninah was the the name of Elkanah’s second wife, but as you have probably guessed, Penninah as a given name is uncommon in the United States.


8. Collection sites or businesses that will take recyclable materials that can't be put into our recyclables container, such as clean empty glass jars, used toner cartridges, old light bulbs, dead batteries and hard styrofoam pieces



9. A beautiful sunny afternoon to take a drive which took me all over town to where the above mentioned sites were located


10. Body joints

We have an impressive 360 joints in our bodies! The older I get, the more I appreciate my joints, especially when they are fully operational.


11. Vic, family and friends



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. As many as 360 joints! I am certainly thankful for them.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that pretty amazing fact to learn.
      Thanks, Romi.

      Delete
  2. Scammers are everywhere, i am glad you are getting help in dealing with it.

    About Tripod SissyCat, she started life as SissyCat, and was mean and nasty to everyone. She lost a leg to a fight with a German shepherd, and so earned the nickname Tripod. Her first owner abandoned her into our care (we were "catsitting" and the owner never came back).

    After a year with us, when she realized we were not going to abandon her and we were going to be nice to her and love her, Tripod SissyCat became one of the nicest cats you'll ever meet. She even gets along with Coda, our daughter's German shepherd, when we dogsit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimi.
      It is always interesting the whys of how people and pets receive their names.

      Delete
  3. and even more difficult to ignore!
    lol Grat #10
    The weather was moderate and each such, not blizzardy day, gets us a day closer to summer
    Good that you caught the scam-nature of the 'bill'.. imo, the best defense is to look (or listen) for the details before accepting something as legit.
    The scammers are working on a volume strategy and tend not to be careful of every little detail, like the company no longer being in business
    have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clark. So true about #10 and being difficult to ignore.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I'm so sorry you were the victim of a scam, but so glad it got sorted. The irony of it having been identity theft awareness week is quite striking indeed. Flatbread pizza sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you got caught up in a scam! I hope it's all resolved for good. Love your sense of humor in #4! Your genealogy research sure unearths some pretty interesting information! I've never heard the name Penninah, Bible or otherwise. Oh, Lordy, those joints! I am growing more and more aware of a good number of those 360!

    ReplyDelete