Saturday, June 19, 2021

Ten Things of Thankful

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there, as well to those men who are so supportive to children who perhaps do not have a father figure in their lives. Bringing children into the world comes with responsibilities and for most, whether it is the mother or the father, it is a learning process. I am thankful for my father whom I didn't meet until I was eight months old, since I was born after he was inducted into the Army. While he served state side due to having flat feet, one of the things that kept soldiers from being able to serve oversees, he was more fortunate in being able to see his first born sooner than some soldiers who had to wait until they returned from oversees to see their child.


Dad & Mom holding me
in Cleveland OH
at Crile Military Hospital



With much to feel grateful for this week, I am linking my list to the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop hosted by Dyanne of Backsie Is What There Is Not.

Yellow rose 


1. Roses

Early this week when I was attending a class, the teacher had a bucket full of beautiful yellow roses. The majority were fully opened and looking very much like roses that had stepped right out of one of Manet’s paintings. We were invited to take a rose home with us. As I looked at all those roses, I decided to select one that was just a rose bud, but since I could see what the others had become, I wanted the experience of watching it bloom, of opening up, and reaching its full potential. I was not disappointed.


2. Those who are not afraid of going to great heights to do things others do not have the skills to do, whether it being literally ascending to to the top of a tall tree to remove a widow maker, or making sacrifices to make it possible for someone to have a chance to live in a safe place


Arborist removing some widow makers


3. Test results and knowing what needs to be done next


4. Accessibility of information to help one understand procedures


5. Grapes, especially seedless red ruby grapes


6. Reaching 10,000 steps

While there may be some who think, “Well, duh. That’s not such a big deal.” Just let me set the record straight, IMO. There are people like me, and many others for all sorts of reasons, who have days when that is a far stretch of the imagination, so having a 10,000 steps day  is something to celebrate.


7. Wide aisles in stores

One of my favorite health food stores has been doing some remodeling and have expanded the store, making it possible to not only stock more goods, but to have wider aisles with hand sanitizing stations at the end of each aisle. 


8. Smiles

There seem to be more sparkles in the eyes now of those wearing the required masks in grocery stores, perhaps because people  are feeling more hopeful that  the reason for needing to wear the mask will eventually end.


9. Progress

Juneteenth being declared a Federal holiday!






10. Glimpses

Catching a glimpse of the doe and her fawn before they exited our property


Doe and fawn on their way to the orchard


Plus one more!


Vic and our family and friends




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. Such a lovely list, i hope the procedures are not for anything especially horrible or serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. The procedures have been performed on others, so just hoping everything will go without any hitches.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your 10,000 steps day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a good feeling when it happens, besides the little happy dance on the wrist. HaHa

      Delete
    2. I LOVE the happy dance on the wrist, along with the light show! :)

      Delete
  3. Not a chance in the multiverse...(of climbing to great heights, with nothing but a sharp cutting tool for safety)

    Yellow roses are very attractive. We tried to grow some once, when we first moved here (and before we appreciated the challenging conditions, horticulturally-speaking).

    While the mask mandate has been dropped where we are, they have proven to be quite the benefit to minimizing the bad effects of pollen, when working in our woods, at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to see from the photo, but the arborist was tethered to the tree, so he could safely bounce from one area to another. (The truck with the cherry-picker wasn't able to get near some of the trees, so they had to resort to the old way as shown in the photo.)
      Oh, those "challenging conditions, horticulturally-speaking. . ."
      I agree about wearing the masks helping with the bad effects of the pollen.

      Delete
  4. I hope the test results lead to a pain free future. I love grape season. Aldi always has really yummy ones, and they've been 75 cents a pound! The federal holiday designation for Juneteenth is a good beginning. May it be the first step in much needed change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pain free would be nice. What a great price on the grapes. The last I paid was more than twice that.

      Delete
  5. I always love your posts, Pat - you tell such interesting stories. <3
    I do love a good bunch of seedless red grapes. One of my favorites. And I can so relate to the gratitude over test results and knowing what comes next.
    Amen to progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. It is interesting how many more grape varieties are available than when I was living in grape country as a young child. I only remember a couple of choices then (long time ago), and my favorite then doesn't come close to my first choice now. HaHa

      Delete