Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Six Sentence Stories - Remnant

Oh the mysterious ways the Six Sentence Stories evolve in the recesses of the minds of the wordsmiths. . .and the things they learn in the process. . .

Thanks Denise, of Girlie On The Edge's Blog for hosting and providing the cue for this week's blog hop, Six Sentence Stories - Remnant. Click the link to read some other very short stories if you so desire.


Drunkard's Path Quilt made about mid 1930's


Long threads dangled from where the cuff had ripped away from the sleeve of his faded blue shirt when he had tried to slip through the rusty barbed wire fence in an attempt to shorten his distance to the creek by not having to run down to to the gate.

Eddy, Where is that shirt you were wearing last week, the one you said you ripped? Today is Monday, and you know what that means, young man.


Fidgeting a bit while looking down at his dust covered bare feet he said, Yes, ma’am, Monday is wash day, but this is one time that it looks like that old shirt is past mending or patching, but if you want to wash it, I’ll go get it.


It has seen better days, but its life is not over yet because I can cut off the buttons and put them in the button jar to use later, and cut the fabric away from the seams and use what I can of the remnant for the Drunkard’s Path quilt  I want to make. That blue is going to stand out on that yellow fabric, and goodness knows people these days need some cheering up.




26 comments:

  1. I like your story.
    Patchwork that gives new life to worn-out or damaged clothes is a beautiful art, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the time of the depression in our country people really made use of all the resources they had to provide for their families. An interesting thing that I discovered about quilt making during that time was the use of lighter colors for their quilts to brighten the lives of the people who were so depressed by all that they had lost. During the Victorian period darker colored fabrics were often what was used.

      Delete
  2. I keep a scrap basket, myself, that my children's outgrown clothes lie waiting to come out and play once more. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Do you make quilts or use the fabric scraps to make toys?

      Delete
  3. It is good that people still think of saving buttons and reusing old clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how often the younger people save buttons now here. It used to be quite common to see lots of old button in jars or bags at thrift stores, but now I don't see them as often.

      Delete
  4. And the young think they invented recycling. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History just keeps repeating itself. Sometimes that is a good thing and other times, not so much.

      Delete
  5. Wow - that is some quilt for almost 90 years, Pat. Has it needed patching up over the years? 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie. Probably 40 years ago, my mother replaced the binding, but other than that nothing more has been done, as far as I know.

      Delete
  6. nicely visual... and engaging, ranging from the familiar-to-childhood memories of fence induced injuries to the later-in-life appreciation of a gathering of comforters (or remnants thereof)
    Good Six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clark. I am guessing few, if any children living on farms or ranches escape having at least one injury from trying to get through a barbed wire fence. I had a very nasty looking purple scar running down my shin from such an injury that lasted clear into adulthood. It took a long time, for the scar to finally fade away.

      Delete
  7. I have a quilt given to my mother when I was born (69 years ago) that is made from remnants of the old lady's life. Her name was Cleopatra Hartbarger and every one called her Miss Party Cake because her dad pronounced it CleoPARTRA. Anyway. I love the quilt and I love this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you have that quilt and the story about the lady who made it!

      Delete
  8. Great story! I'm fascinated by the history of quilting; some pretty dark tales emerge, but today I'm pleased this isn't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. I am glad this wasn't a dark tale too.

      Delete
  9. "Waste not, want not."
    Great use of description!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making do and reusing should always stay in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful Six, Pat. I've never quilted and know little about its history but love the idea of re-purposing material to create a new thing. A quilt is beautiful, useful and as you say, something to brighten a person's day once upon a time, not to mention something that can be passed through generations.
    As to saving buttons - I still do, though not as many as when I was younger. My mother had a jar of buttons which I "inherited". Still have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat that you have inherited a jar of buttons from your mother! Years ago I knew a woman who used some of the large old ornate buttons to create pins that she gave to people as gifts. Each one was so unique.

      Delete
  12. And so, the shirt lives on albeit in a new way! A timely reminder that not everything we finish with needs to go to waste.

    My Six!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good one, Pat. A friend of mine always saved his 'retired' concert tee shirts, cut the sleeves off them and made a huge patchwork of cool rock band logos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have seen some wonderful quilts made using old tee shirts that reflected a person's interests.

      Delete