Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Six Sentence Stories - Effervescent

There are a few memories bubbling up today all because of Denise of Girlie on the Edge's Blog. Her prompt for all of us who enjoy writing short stories including a certain cue word was the instigator. You can read other Six Sentence Stories - Effervescent at this link. Enjoy.


Pixabay

She loved eating breakfast at Grandma and Grandpa’s house when she was little because Grandma always asked her how to fix an egg knowing full well what the answer would be. . .poached! At home Mom fixed poached eggs in an egg poacher pan, but Grandma just used a small sauce pan and quickly swirled the boiling salted water just so to create a little well in the center before adding the egg, and after the egg was done, she poured the egg and the water into a cereal-sized bowl and added a dab of butter and little pieces white bread or toast to be sopped up by the water.


Fixing breakfast was just different in her grandparents’ kitchen, starting with the toaster which didn’t look anything like the one her Mom used where the toast popped up at the top when it was done. Grandma had to watch carefully to know when the bread was toasted sufficiently before flipping the sides of the toaster down in order to grab the hot toast before it burned.


The most amazing thing to watch was what Grandpa did many mornings as he stood by the sink holding a glass of water to which he added some lemon or orange juice followed by a small amount of baking soda. She never did understand then why she wasn’t allowed to drink what looked for all the world to be the most delicious effervescent drink a child would ever want to drink, thinking it must surely taste like her favorite soda that on rare occasions she was allowed to sip.




18 comments:

  1. Wonderfully visual, Pat! The last paragraph made me smile; exactly what I associate the word effervescence with - must be my age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad there is someone who can relate to this.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Chris on this Six as well... could have been there, for the descriptions... better than that, I was there in my own experience of life with the generation before that of my parents.
    Excellento!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clark. Sometimes it is nice to share a bit of the old, lest we forget.

      Delete
  3. You provided an instant time machine, Pat! My dad loved poached eggs. I remember we had a special pan just for poaching eggs. Consensus on the visual :D Add to that, olfactory. I can smell the toast! Curious about Grandma's toaster - "..before flipping the sides of the toaster down in order to grab the hot toast before it burned."
    Flipping the sides down??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think the smell of burnt toast is one that is something we don't forget. This link shows some photos of old toasters, including some that have sides that flop down.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful descriptions in this piece. I can just see the grandparents in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad you could see them in action.

      Delete
  5. Grandparents are so special, things are better with them. Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drink something similar to the backing soda, lemon and water except I use apple cider vinegar instead of lemon. Sometimes I split them into two drinks: one water and baking soda and the other apple cider vinegar and water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they both kind of serve the same purpose.

      Delete
  7. Older ways of doing things can indeed be quite fascinating. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are even more fascinating to me now when I realize that even the new inventions when I was growing up seem almost unbelievable to the younger set.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes the old ways ARE the best!

    ReplyDelete