1. Yearly physicals
Most people recognize the importance of tune-ups for their automobiles, but unfortunately seeing a physician for yearly physicals sometimes can be put on the back burner. I am thankful that I am able to get yearly physicals and have health insurance.
2. Being able to be of help and also being recipients of help
Sometimes it is the simple things that are needed, just a helping hand, or another viewpoint, or energy when one's own is lacking. I am thankful that we were able to be on the giving end and well as on the receiving end this week.
3. Those who either don’t have a fear of working in high places or have overcome their fears
The arborists were here most of the day cutting down our old maple tree that was dying and had been severely damaged by a lightning and thunder storm this summer. I am thankful that they were able to stay safe as they cut down the tree that had grown from the sapling we had planted into a very large shade tree.
4. My mother’s beautiful peaceful expression when I visited her one day this week in the nursing home, and the squeeze of her hand on mine (#Alzheimer's)
When these rare moments happen, I treasure them with all my heart.
5. Fresh peach milkshake
On the way back from visiting my mother, I stopped and treated myself to a fresh peach milkshake. The peaches tasted like they had just been picked from the trees!
Having the availability of a dolly when unloading a truck full of boxes made all the difference in the world when helping someone move.
7. Very large dumpsters
There is a time and a place when paying for a company to bring a large dumpster to a site is exactly what is needed and can save a lot of time and extra trips to the local refuse collection center. I am glad our friends were able to take advantage of this resource this week.
8. Sites that not only accept used clothing for resale purposes or to give to those in need, but will also recycle used clothing that is unacceptable for resale because of its wear and tear
Having this resource makes me feel like I am doing my part to in a small way save our planet. It is also nice to have some extra space in the clothes closet.
9. New shoesMy most comfortable running shoes (in my case walking shoes) had begun to irritate one of my toes. Probably ten years ago, I found a shoe brand that seemed to be made just for me, because it was so comfortable. I have been a devoted purchaser of that shoe ever since, so I was surprised when my toe started to hurt while wearing the shoes. Upon investigating the inside of the shoe I discovered that after two years of wear, the lining had begun to separate and roll and rub on my toe. Getting new shoes was an easy fix for my problem.
10. Family on this side of the veil as well as family on the other side of the veil
My mother came from a very large family. My father was from a small family. The families of their ancestors were large in comparison to many of the families today. I have come to "know" many of the individuals in these families through the records that I have been able to uncover and through the memories of older relatives I corresponded with over my life span. There are times when the veil feels very thin and those who have departed feel extremely close. The feeling is one of immense love. Have you ever experienced this type of closeness to your departed loved ones?
|Autumn is almost here. The crocuses are|