Friday, May 18, 2018

Ten Things of Thankful

Here it is a Friday night. The link to the blog hop Ten Things of Thankful that Josie Two Shoes hosts every weekend (shortly after midnight Thursday, Central Time, until Tuesday evening) for those who want to share their comments, lists, ramblings, etc. as to what makes them feel grateful is open. Oh, I know, one only needs to listen to or read the news to know that not everything is going well in the world, nor even necessarily for ourselves every minute of the day, but there is much that can be seen and heard all around us individually and collectively that we can think of that makes us feel happy and thankful. So embrace the better part. I believe the apostle Paul said it quite well. 

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovelywhatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8


Other participants of this blog hop may have other favorite quotes or passages of favorite writers, wise words of a parent or an inspiring teacher that guide their thoughts and help them not get weighed down by the negative aspects in the world. Who inspires you to remember to be thankful?


Click the link to read the posts of other bloggers

1. I found my last Fitbit when I had to move a suitcase the other day. My Fitbit has been missing for several months. I felt pretty sure it was in the house, but I couldn't find it, so I went back to wearing my old watch, which of course had none of the advantages of a Fitbit. 

2. There was a very good Focus meeting at the nursing center this week with the new nurse leading the meeting. It is always helpful to be able to meet with the staff to hear what changes they are seeing in my mom and to have a chance to share any insights I might have with them. They welcome my input and make me feel a part of the team.

3. There were a few stressful situations this week for me to take care of and it was good for me to be able to see my own personal growth in dealing with difficult things. Perhaps participating in the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop helped me to keep a positive outlook.

4. Being around a couple of very young children happily interacting with each other and seeing some baby bluebirds makes me smile.

5. Being able to use a recently learned sewing skill involving one of my presser feet to do some mending.

6. Being able to participate with several women in preparing some rooms for some challenging escape room activities. I enjoyed getting to know the other women better as we worked together.

7. Having a fan I could turn on when the temperatures climbed to the high 80ºs F for a couple of days this week.

8. Having an opportunity to go with a friend to visit someone who needed a listening ear and people to care.

9. Beautiful flowers.

Yellow and white iris in our yard


Combined purple, lavender, and gold iris on our neighbors' property

10. My husband who spent a lot of time with a weed whacker this week. Walking over uneasy terrain ever ladened by gopher holes and mole mounds, all the while using the weed whacker isn't the easiest of jobs especially when the years catch up with us. He also picked up the slack when I was out taking care of some other matters. I appreciate that we are a team taking on whatever may come our way.

And last of all this, because it is!


18 comments:

  1. Taking time to be grateful and listing it out does change our perspective, and you are feeling the changes. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true
      I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers and wonderful things to be thankful for. I hope you have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. May you also have a wonderful week ahead.

      Delete
  3. I tend to agree with the idea that simply participating in something like the TToT has a beneficial effect, heck, even just hanging around and reading the posts serves a person well.
    It may not stop the bad but certainly enables us to better endure the effects of the negative. Like it or not, negative (people, things, events) is corrosive and while some of it is avoidable, reinforcing the positive is the only healthy option.
    Loved the phrase.
    "...gopher holes and mole mounds,"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the benefits that come from being around positive people and things, and that reinforcing the positive is the only way to keep from being consumed by all the negativity that some people seem to exude, which often seems beyond their ability to change except with medication.
      Both the gophers and the moles have been quite busy this year.

      Delete
  4. #3. It is reassuring when we recognize our own forward strides. I tend to forget them in my own self and I couldn't agree more that participating in this hop has tremendous benefits.
    Escape room activities :D I've heard of these. Sounds like tons of fun!
    Thank you for the flower pics, they're lovely. Flowers are a surefire pickmeupper. Always, they bring a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first "escape room" experience. It was fun. We had to think, work as a group, and not get distracted by some of the things in the room that were there purely to get us off course, but there wasn't anyway to know the purpose of some things at first. We were trying to get out of the room by a certain time.
      If you go to an escape room, I don't think that you need to go with a group. Some of them might just put you in a room that was lacking enough people. Personally think it would be more fun to go with at least one other person you know.
      I wish I could include the scent of the irises too. They are quite intoxicating.

      Delete
  5. Like mother, like daughter--I posted photos of irises this week, too (and I hadn't even read your post first!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures as always Pat. I love looking at the flowers this time of year. Having the beautiful weather we're having makes a difference to my mood for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sunshine and flowers are definitely pick-me-ups.

      Delete
  7. Your list is lovely this week. Being a partner in your Mom's care and knowing that you are part of a team is uplifting. Setting up Escape Rooms sounds fun and challenging. We have only begun landscaping our yard this year as the spring came late. Thank you for sharing the lovely photos. I've only ever seen purple iris. Your yellow ones are spectacular. Love the version of What A Wonderful World. So refreshing sung by children instead of at someone's funeral. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gal in charge of the Escape Room was very organized and involved the committee in seeing how many of the needed items we might have in our own homes. There were some things that needed to be purchased, but scrounging through our own closets, etc. cut down on the total costs. Since we were setting up four rooms, it took a little time, but went faster than I'd anticipated.
      Irises come in so many different colors an color combinations. They are just absolutely gorgeous.
      You might like looking at some of the various irises here. https://www.schreinersgardens.com/home
      I enjoyed hearing and watching the children sing that song.

      Delete
  8. It's always good to have a favourite quote or line or song or lyric, from wherever you can find it.

    :-)

    I guess I shouldn't judge until I try, but just hearing about the popularity of these escape rooms, I get anxious. Not sure the fun is my kind of fun, but I'm glad they are providing such fun to so many other people looking for adventures. Think I will look for mine elsewhere.

    My father loves his weed whacker. I hear him turn it on and I think of a giant mosquito, like the one in that Jumanji movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what to expect with the escape room experience. Since I'd never gone to one, I was thinking it involved more physical activity. Perhaps some do. I don't know. The one I was involved with required a lot of thinking and trying to come up with the next clue. We were given a starting point. One clue would lead to the next, but it kind of required thinking outside of the box. Sometimes we would come across something that seemed like it might provide a clue, but was really there to throw us off base. This makes me wonder if there are special escape rooms that perhaps are geared for those sight is impaired. If there aren't, I imagine it is just a matter of time before someone comes up with a plan.
      I just had to look up mosquito and Jumanji, since I had not seen the movie. Even little mosquitos can be quite noisy, so a giant one would sound like a weed whacker. :-)

      Delete
  9. This was such a lovely list. I really appreciated the reminder of your opening Bible verse. We can focus on the gloom and doom and get pulled down by it, or we can focus on the good and be uplifted, and there is so much of it around us if we seek it and Him!

    It sounds like you had a very busy but productive week. It's fun to find something you've misplaced. I have more "missing" items than found ones, and need better organization here!

    I can sympathize with your husband navigating the hills and holes in the yard to cut weeds. Our ground squirrels have turned our front space into a bit of a mine field, and I have to walk carefully. Papa Bear says someday his mower will fall into one and disappear! LOL

    Such beautiful flowers you have to enjoy! And the laughter and play of small children lifts the heart like nothing else.

    I am thankful that your mother is in such a good and supportive facility that involves you in her care. I know that helps you find peace of mind. I am also certain that your friends and neighbors find you a real blessing in their lives, your sweetness and caring come through in what you share here each week. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      We often joke about items that come up missing. We still haven't found a missing potholder, so now when something is missing, we joke that it must be with the potholder.

      Delete