Friday, May 25, 2018

Finish the Sentence Friday - A photo and the story behind it

Photos galore, but which one should I choose? I know, this one!
Recently I took a photo while we were walking through a garden full of rhododendrons and azaleas and saw this and just couldn't resist snapping a photo. Now I have an opportunity to share it with you for the blog hop Finish the Sentence Friday - A photo and the story behind it. Kristi Campbell of Finding Ninee is the host and Kenya G. Johnson of Sporadically Yours is the co-host. Since I really have no idea of the story behind the photo, I decided to get a little creative. Enjoy and click the link to see photos and stories others are sharing this time.



A large forked branch about 15" tall and about 6" around at the base, completely devoid of recent growth, leaning against the base of a very tall fir tree growing in a very old rhododendron and azalea garden among many varieties of low growing plants and flowers
It was properly displayed in an upright position so as not to go unnoticed and be likely to slowly decay amidst creeping vines and moss on the earthen floor over the eons. 

Had it been part of the slingshot of one of the giants who once roamed the earth, according to biblical and historical records?

Was the ogre in Jack and the Beanstalk a lover of not only beans, but of the ancestors of the rhododendrons and azaleas included in this forested area?

Maybe, instead of being used to fling heavy stones, it was used as a tool to hold up part of a heavy vine once used  to ensnare an unsuspecting creature.

Another possibility is that it  could have been utilized as a crutch for an injured dwarf, or used as a cane for an taller aged dwarf from the folklore kingdom.

However it came to be in this spot and in this position, it did not go unseen by me.




8 comments:

  1. "However it came to be in this spot and in this position, it did not go unseen by me."
    and set loose the writer within, very fun post to go with the photo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clark. When I took the photo, I wasn't even thinking about this blog hop. It just caught my eye.

      Delete
  2. I love where your mind went when wondering about the propped up branch. I love the scenes and moments like that - something so ordinary in a way but also so curious. Who put the branch there? My favorite possibility is the injured dwarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about the possibilities kind of took me back to some of my childhood thoughts playing among the roots of trees by a creek.

      Delete
  3. AHH, I love the curiosity about it, and I can't help think about fairy tale forest slingshots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One best be treading lightly when moving among the trees in a forest. :-)

      Delete
  4. Nice that you found a story for the photograph. I take pictures of things I have no idea what for, but in the back of my mind is " I might need it for a blog post."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one never knows when a photo is going to be useful in this blogging world.

      Delete