Thursday, May 10, 2018

Finish the Sentence Friday - Listicle: 10 things people don't know about me

Since I tend to be somewhat of a list maker, I find this second Friday of the month blog hop enjoyable. It requires making a listicle using whatever prompt is given. This week I'll being linking my post to Finish the Sentence Friday - Listicle: 10 things people don't know about me. The host is Kristi Campbell at Finding Ninee. Wendy G. Johnson at Sporadically Yours is the co-host.
Be sure to click any of the above links to see what the other bloggers have shared about themselves and also check out what things happen on the other Fridays at this blog hop.





While making lists is what I do, making ones of things people don't know about me is a little difficult, because usually there is at least someone who might know or remember one or more of these things I'm going to share here. 

1. The first instrument I learned to play in grade school was a harmonica. Our teacher had been in the Marine Corps, as I remember. At that time I incorrectly assumed the name of the instrument was somehow connected to the Marine Corps. The parents bought their children harmonicas, and as part of our music instruction we were taught how to play. We performed at a school program later in the year.

2. I stood on a stage attempting to sing Rusty Old Halo with three other girls when I was 11. We got the giggles and I was the only one unable to stop. Three girls sang and one girl giggled.

3. The first oral report I gave was in the sixth grade and it was about the cotton plant. Our family was going on vacation to visit relatives and the teacher said he would excuse me, but I would need to give a report when I got back and it would need to be about cotton. I brought back some cotton I picked from my aunt and uncle's farm. Most of the kids had never seen a cotton boll.

4. When I was about four my mother was pointing to some falling stars in the sky, I began to cry because I didn't want the stars to fall. I imagine she wished she had phrased that differently.

5. The first time I remember anyone wanting to know what I wanted to be when I grew up, I replied I wanted to be a missionary in Africa. I was about 10. 

6. It is extremely hard for me to name favorites of anything. I tend to find something to like about a lot of things.

7. The first library book I ever read was titled John Paul Jones and was about the Naval Commander in the Revolutionary War. For the first time, a few library books were brought to our little two-room school for us to check out. By the time it was my turn to select a book, ones that I would have preferred were already taken. The teacher selected the one about John Paul Jones as a possible option for me. I obediently took the book and was surprised to find I actually enjoyed the book. I was in the fourth grade.

8. I once thought I would never get married, because no one would ever ask me. Silly me.

9. A favorite snack I enjoyed when I was growing up was a piece of white balloon bread with mayonnaise spread on it. That was it, and it was delicious.

10. When my husband and I were dating, we would often sing along as the radio was playing. He started laughing when I sang, "Oh, a tree in motion," and I couldn't understand why.




11 comments:

  1. I like too many things to name any of them! Apparently my taste is eclectic.... and that goes for everything such as music, art etc. Lovely piece, enjoyed reading :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  2. Aw, truly enjoyed getting to know you just that much more here today and truly found this prompt so much fun indeed this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best to keep the seniors visible and active in this blogging sphere even at the risk of appearing displaying a few flaws. :-)
      It was a fun prompt this week.

      Delete
  3. I remember eating Miracle Whip sandwiches at some point in my youth. It may have been delicious but now I'm saying, "Gross!" So what is balloon bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I spread very little mayo on bread, if any, and the thought of eating it like I did in the past does not appetizing at all.
      Although there was a bread that had balloons on the wrapping, I don't think this is why the packaged white bread was called balloon bread. What I understood was that many felt it was just filled with a lot of air making it seem very puffy, and it wasn't as filling to eat as home made bread, whether white or whole wheat. Here is a link to an interesting history of bread that will probably tell you more about bread than you ever wanted to know. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/books/review/white-bread-by-aaron-bobrow-strain.html

      Delete
  4. Balloon bread? I used to eat butter on saltine crackers. So good. My mom had to limit how much I had. Cute story about three girls singing and one giggling. I love that feeling - when you can't stop laughing. I, too, once thought nobody would ask me to marry them! Did you ever do missionary work in Africa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the comment I made to Kenya above to learn a little bit about balloon bread.
      I still eat butter on crackers sometimes. :-)
      No I never was a missionary in Africa. I think a Sunday School teacher had given me a little book as a reward for memorizing some scriptures. The book was about the experiences some missionaries had in Africa.

      Delete
  5. aw.. about 8. And for the falling stars! Yes, so glad she didn't call them shooting stars! Or exploding stars! Although the concept of stars falling is scary to a kid, I bet. I'm off to google what balloon bread was/is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, shooting stars or exploding stars would probably have scared me, whereas I think with the falling stars I just wanted them to stay in the sky. I don't remember thinking the stars might do any damage when they fell.

      The history of the white bread that was sold following WWII is quite interesting.

      Delete
  6. I love your number four.

    :-)

    My father loves mayo on bread and I never understood it.

    :-)

    Nice list of things, from one who loves making lists.

    ReplyDelete