Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Six Sentence Stories - Distraction

The phone is ringing again as you try to ignore its insistence while you finish shampooing your baby’s silky blonD haIr.

The winnerS of the cake decorating contest you entered are beginning to be announced when you have to whisk away your crying toddler still holding Tightly to the now empty container of the spilled milkshake bought for the two of you to shaRe.


A line is loudly blurted out by your son in the preschool play when he Couldn’t remember his line, so he made one up.


While your friend is wearing his favorite hunting boots, it becomes The spot to mark by your pup.


The oldest Is going to tend the younger siblings and the house is neat and tidy when you leave for a meeting, but when an acquaintance who has never been in your house brings you home and helps take things in from the car, the scene greeting yOu both is your living room disguised as a fort built with all the creativity children can muster to delay checking the chore chart.


As you sing the lullaby and stare deeply into the eyes of your child you pause when for moment you feel you have seen into his soul and kNow his heart.




Denise of Girlie On The Edge's Blog is the host of the Six Sentence Stories-Distraction blog hop. Every Sunday there is a new cue that she reveals. On Wednesday at 6:00 pm ET the link goes live until late Saturday evening. Would you like to give this writing challenge a try? We hope you will.



20 comments:

  1. Those fancy boots look like a perfect spot for a dog to mark. I like how you included the word "distraction" in the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A real test of friendship for sure. Thank you. It was a last minute attempt to include the word. I had originally had it in the SSS, but decided to do some editing and didn't realize, almost too late, that I had cut out the part with the prompt word in it.

      Delete
  2. I love this, Pat! So very clever how you got the prompt in there AND made the whole thing rhyme! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dyanne. Sometimes one just needs to try something different.

      Delete
  3. Excellence personified, Pat. A pure pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever way to use the prompt!
    Your scenarios were so vivid, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think there have been others who have done something similar, but I don't remember now who did it.

      Delete
  5. Really neatly done, Pat! I can just picture that fort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I suspect any mother or grandmother may recall the forts that have been built in their homes.😊

      Delete
  6. I especially like the last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The others have said it better than I can, an excellent Six in both story and form.

    I have to say, I thought of another writer, (as I often do when reading Sixes), though it might sound strange, but E.E. Cummings came to mind.
    go figure, lol
    Good Six.
    yo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clark. I can see how one could see a few similarities in my SSS to some of e e cummings works. I remember my high school English teacher giving us some assignments to read some of his works. I found his writing fascinating, kind of anything goes.

      Delete
  8. Good use of the cue. Good six. I agree with Clark about the EEC reference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have summed up parenthood quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the playfulness of your Six Pat, sprinkling the first letters of the prompt word about, guiding your story. Well done and fun to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superbly crafted, Pat, and the 2nd person narration chucks us right into the middle of all that family chaos! Love the fort part, so visual and true.
    Ford, Atomic Mage

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great use of the prompt and a tale that will have a familiar ring to may a parent I'm sure Nice one Pat.

    My Six!

    ReplyDelete