Thursday, October 8, 2020

Six Sentence Stories - Resistance

Being somewhat of a resistant writer at times when the prompt word for a blog hop isn't stirring up a story with the words in my October cauldron I just about walked away, but no, I received some help in the middle of a dark night! I'm linking up to Six Sentences Stories - Resistance hosted by Denise of Girlie on the Edge's Blog.



The music wasn’t achieving its purposes when there was resistance between the eyelids and the mind. As she attempted to quiet the racing thoughts of things still needing to be done sometime before the next ten years or sooner, an unidentifiable noise on the floor above interrupted her train of thought. Trying to ignore the insistency of the sound was an impossibility, so grabbing a flashlight, off she went to investigate. In a corner under some shelves was a teepee shaped spider trap jumping and bouncing from side to  side. The mere thought of a gargantuan spider being able to propel the trap seemed like an early Halloween action prop and for her own sanity's sake, pretty far-fetched. Considering the situation, she opted for going back to get her grabber tool so she could safely pick up the spider trap and not risk being bit by one frustrated little mouse, now slightly visible hiding within, and dispose of him before FINALLY calling it a night.



14 comments:

  1. Crickets, gophers, mice?! Try counting sheep instead of those pesky critters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me Pat. I am fixated on "spider trap", lol Certain images came to mind instantly. I had no idea there were such things! Living in Florida provided an education in "real" spiders. Talk about gargantuan :D
    Brave woman to investigate in the middle of the night. I'd have waited until morning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Florida, but I've heard about some of the spiders there. No thank you. I would have traps set everywhere.
      I probably could have left a sleeping critter wait until morning, but there was way too much activity going on for me to rest.

      Delete
  3. Eek! I'd have grabbed a grabber too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew the many uses the grabber tool would have! HaHa

      Delete
  4. oh, sure that's the way to get back to sleep!

    excellent sixifying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, that was a pretty creepy tale as soon as you mentionied 'spider' and 'trap'.
    That's why there has to be some truth in the internet saying: the only way to deal with it (a spider, for example) is to "nuke it from outer space" :) :)
    I love spiders because they help kill the savage mosquitoes where I live; but if I ever see a spider here any bigger than my coffee coaster I'm hitting the red button and calling in the nuke codes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiders are needed and if we lived where mosquitoes were a huge problem I would definitely appreciate their help. The thought of a spider bigger than a coffee coaster is downright terrifying!

      Delete
  6. Music usually works for me. I remember when we rented a cottage and my wife heard a mouse scrambling in the night. I was up all night trying to locate it as she couldn't go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to the sticky spider trap I was only annoyed for a little bit and then it was off to sleep. Most times the music works for me too, but once in a while it doesn't.

      Delete
  7. I like the ten year time frame to get something done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might not be a realistic time frame, but I can always hope. :/

      Delete