This is very much a "better later than never" post to the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop hosted by Kristi of Thankful Me. There is so much to be thankful for this past week.
1. A wooden wall
When we first moved into our unfinished home almost 40 years ago, the make-do walls were made of Kraft paper stapled to the studs. It was a real life “Good Night, John Boy” existence. We eventually no longer had paper walls, for which we were all so appreciative. This past week, I found myself again feeling grateful for our sturdy bedroom wall. My side of the bed is is fairly close to the wall, and without that wall to brace my foot against, getting in and out of bed would have been impossible to manage because of the pain I was experiencing in my back. (Who knew that just doing several loads of laundry would put me in such a predicament! Fortunately, I am gradually improving.)
2. Experience that I have had from doing certain exercises to try to relieve back pain in years past (I knew what to try this week.)
3. General Conference
Our church holds general conferences twice a year. Because of the COVID-19 the conference this past weekend was done virtually. In many ways the conference was an historic one, and for me personally was very reassuring and memorable, and a great lead-in to the week before Easter.
4. Being able to drive to the store to get some groceries, AND to discover that some of those products that had been impossible to find these past few weeks are now on the shelves was a welcome discovery.
5. Because we had not been able to find ANY distilled water in the stores in recent weeks, we decided that purchasing a counter-top water distiller would in the long run be worth it. I found one that was actually available, so I placed the order, only to get a notice a few days later that my order was cancelled. It is no longer available, so it was great to see that distilled water is available again in certain stores in our area.
6. The new normal is Face Time or Zoom appointments with doctors in this time of distancing because of the virus. I had my first of these this morning. Although the appointment was a routine follow-up, and had nothing to do with my back, the doctor made some suggestions having to do with my back. WIN WIN.
7. I was thankful for good movies to watch from home this past week. (The Green Book, The Other Side of Heaven 1, and The Other Side of Heaven 2)
8. Birds chirping
After a week of being inside and somewhat limited in my movement, I was so appreciative of hearing the chirping of the birds in the trees when I was finally able to make a trip to the store today. We had a lot of rain this past week, so opening a window to hear them wasn’t really an option. Today it is sunny and it looks like there it will be warming up a little the rest of the week. :-) Sometimes Alexa plays nature sounds but it isn’t really the same as being outside and seeing real birds flitting about and chirping. A similar comparison would be seeing someone in a Zoom conference to being with someone in person. It just isn’t quite the same, but certainly a welcome substitute.
9. I am thankful for our children who are my backup when I can’t figure out something they already walked me through in the past. There is something to be said about the need of doing something more than just once, especially when it comes to electronic devices.
10. Vic who has helped me in so many ways this past week! He reached what I couldn’t. He stood when I couldn’t. He was Johnny on the Spot!