Saturday, February 22, 2020

Six Sentence Story - Claim

While being caught up in family history this week, and thinking at times about that prompt Denise from Girlie on the Edge's Blog gave those who enjoy writing short stories, I had an aha moment. I thought for several days I might be able to pull together a land claim story, but it seemed to require more than six sentences, much, much more. That may have to require another writing adventure at some point. I'm attaching this post to Six Sentence Stories - Claim.



Hey, have you seen Joe around?

No, I think he went out to the pasture to get Grandma, and I expect Bud wasn’t far behind. Those two are quite the pair, and it won’t be too much longer before Bud will be able to help milk Grandma* when Joe’s over at the baseball field.

When I see him, I’m going to try to talk some sense into him. His teacher claims he was daydreaming and didn’t even respond when she shouted his name today.

Well I suspect calling our boys by names that don’t have any resemblance of their given names of Vic and Charles might have had some impact on his lack of attention, that and his wishing he could be fishing instead of sitting in a classroom.

*dairy cow

13 comments:

  1. I don't know how I didn't know about Joe before this week! I guess I figured the middle name was the nickname and didn't imagine there would be another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing the things that slip through the cracks.

      Delete
  2. Good one! Oh the names we truly use and how that must have been confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of crazy and confusing to others, but I think it somehow made sense to the families in the SSS. I really wonder now how common this was in other people's families

      Delete
  3. Cute story :) Funny, I never considered people calling their kids other than by their given name or a variation of it, lol. But! I will tell you our black lab Alex had very many different names, one of which was Ted. So there ya go :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting about Alex have many different names. Was this a case of the family not being able to agree on what his name should be, so each person called him by the name they liked?

      Delete
  4. ahh! given names and out real names. surely one of the great unintentional gifts from parents to inspire their children to overcome the slings and arrows of the savage lands of grade school!
    unintentionally, to be sure, a burden almost always until relived by maturity.
    enjoyable glimpse into another time and another place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely is something to be said for "maturity" and how one sees the "then" of life against the "now" of existence and realizes everyone was kind of stumbling through the "then."
      Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the glimpse.

      Delete
  5. What a relief that Grandma was a dairy cow. I was wondering where this was going! HA! Our daughter named a dog Lacey after her favorite babysitter. The sitter was not amused. Good six. love how you snuck in the cue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to my hubby, I decided to insert the * after Grandma so I could make it clear she was a dairy cow! His laughter made it quite clear, readers needed to know.😆
      Oh, I think that was such a nice tribute your daughter paid to her favorite babysitter.

      Delete
  6. Well, the names are straightened out now, but I am also glad that you clarified that Grandma is a cow. Sometimes it behooves a writer to be clear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather had names for children and grandchildren that were not our given names. Something special for sure - and yes, maybe confusing to the outside world. Glad you clarified that Grandma was a cow because that was...weird. LOL

    ReplyDelete