Sunday, February 24, 2019

Ten Things of Thankful

There is so much to consider when it comes to the subject of gratitude. I do know that I doing this is a must for me. 

I see that last week I somehow managed to do something weird when I linked up to the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop, and people who might have wished to read my post and perhaps make a comment were not routed to my most recent post. Sorry about that folks. I'll try to do it correctly this week. Click the link above and you will be routed to the link up where you should be able to click on the photos at the bottom and read the thoughts of others on the subject of being thankful. Thanks, Kristi of Thankful Me and the host of the Ten Thing of Thankful blog hop for helping me try to figure out why I seemed to be missing in action last week.  





Uneventful travel on I-5 Wednesday
Coming back from the temple Wednesday afternoon in the earlier, rather than the later time of day, was a huge blessing. We missed the slippery graupel that fell later on the roads and we also missed the bad accident involving two semi trucks on I-5 that closed all north and south bound lanes for almost five hours. That was the day I also learned that what I thought was very strangely acting hail wasn't hail.



Classical for studying radio”
Being able to listen to this station on Pandora as I worked on tax preparation put me at ease and allowed me to focus.

My right shoulder seems to be getting more flexible with some of the stretching exercises I have been doing
Although these exercises have been for a different purpose, one of the blessings has been to have a greater range of motion, at last! It could be that the PT I have been receiving in one area has loosened things up in my shoulder too. 

Being able to easily make copies at home of important papers  rather than going to a printing business to get copies made
Earlier in our married life, that would have been an errand that would have been needed. Back then the copy machines were big, really big, as can be seen in this 1964 commercial of the Xerox 914 Copier. Thanks to YouTube it can be seen again.



The importance that knowledge plays in dispelling fear and overcoming biases and prejudices
The question one must ask is what is the source and is it true based on one’s own experiences, education, and answers you may have received as you prayed for understanding. The last part of the previous sentence of course only applies if you embrace that as being something you feel is important in your life.

Time
I am thankful for the amount of time I have been allowed to spend on earth. The challenge that I face in regards to the use of my time is the same as what each person who has entered this sphere has been given. How that time is used will be vary from individual to individual, but the challenges will be the same. What should I do? When shall I do it? Why should I do it? How should I do it? What purpose(s) will it serve?

Hope
To live without hope, even for a short while, can be depressing and devastating. I am thankful for those who, through their actions and words, are able to help individuals who at times lack hope in overcoming their challenges. Those who volunteer on crisis lines, professional counselors, as well as alert friends, co-workers and students can all be lifesavers.

Names
Can you imagine what it would be like if none of us had a name and how confusing that would make our communications? Even when people are identified by a phrase that describes something about them, it is still a name and perhaps even an easier one for others to remember. In learning about some of my ancestors, I found that one line who settled in Virginia, the part that later became West Virginia, were known by what might be considered humorous or even unflattering descriptions by today’s standards. Then again, considering that settlers often had large families and often named their children after relatives who named their sons and daughters after the previous generation, one can appreciate how it would be easier to keep all the Jacobs straight by using some other frame of reference. These are a sampling of some first names that are on an 1850 census from that area: Barberry, Tatto, Little  B, Friend, Farmer, Aliverete, and Spicy. Now I imagine coming forward over a hundred years those people would laugh at some of the names people gave their children in the 1970's.

Languages
To have a language by which to communicate opens the door to greater understanding among people living now as well as of people throughout the ages, and all that is in and of this world. 

Love
To be able to feel love for people and to know that you are loved by others is one of the highest blessings in life. 



6 comments:

  1. 'graupel'. excellent! a new word*
    glad I stopped by!


    *and an answer... we had what I now realize was a graupel storm(-ette) a few weeks ago. It was so unusual the little granules that I took a few photos. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great "new word." Definitely worth a photo.

      Delete
  2. Names! I had to giggle as some of those are similar to what you hear nowadays. "Spicy" oh do tell! I wonder if that poor child was named because mama had a reaction to spicy food while pregnant. I recall having to use the mimeograph with the blue film. Oh...my...goodness...make a mistake and grit your teeth. We truly are fortunate to click and print. Lovely TToT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that blue film, and even worse the smell of the stuff that we brushed on it in order to make a correction!

      I wasn't even able to find out if Spicy was a nickname.

      Delete
  3. What impresses me is that the commercial was from 1964, yet I don't think my grade school ever had a Xerox machine while I was going there; I remember the big mimeograph machine.

    As far as last week's post, just go ahead and link it up to this week's link-up. There's no rule that says you are limited to just one post a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the Xerox machines first entered the picture in some large corporation headquarters rather than in a small school.

      I'll try linking up the other post. Thanks.

      Delete