Monday, August 27, 2018

Ten Things of Thankful

Perhaps some people are born into this world just naturally feeling grateful for everything that comes their way. Maybe they are the ones that help the rest of us see what is right there in front of us. Whoever you are and wherever you are on your measuring stick of life, you no doubt have a reason for coming here to see what ten things of thankful I might possibly be posting. Maybe you are hoping to lift your spirits today. Could it be that you just want to laugh or smile, or hope that someone else feels like you do? Whatever it is, I hope you find some of that here and on the blogs of others who link up. 

I join in with the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop hosted by Kristi Brierley of Thankful Me, because it is beneficial to me to take time to notice the little and the big things each week. It is difficult to explain how that makes a difference in my life, but I do feel happier when I give thanks whether it is in private prayers, or casual conversations with others, or here on this blog. Much has been said and written about the power of positive thinking. Being ungrateful brings out the negativity in a person, so naturally the opposite action creates positivity.





1. A good report from a doctor. I had been a little concerned about something to do with my health, so I scheduled an appointment to get the opinion of the doctor. It was a huge relief to start off the week knowing I could put those worrisome thoughts aside.

2. A good focus meeting at the nursing center. I always enjoy meeting with the staff for a focus meeting about my mother's care. It gives them and me a chance to address specific concerns about her health and treatment.

3. Fun activity at the nursing home. My husband and I went up to the nursing center to take mom to an outdoor area that was was arranged to bring some enjoyment to the residents for a few hours. Therapy animals were brought there for the residents to watch and pet if they desired. There were some chickens, a couple of llamas, a couple of goats, and a dog. Mom seemed to enjoy one of the little goats the most, but acted relieved to return to her living area. (Over stimulation can be a problem for those with Alzheimer's and other types of dementia.)


4. Cooler days, air quality back in the normal range after a week of hazardous air quality and high temperatures and even some sprinkles in some areas today. To be able to open the windows for a while and to feel that it is safe to be outside again is a blessing. It made me think about those parts of this country and in other countries where bad air quality is something the citizens haven't had relief from yet.

Link

5. Being able to get the car serviced and a part replaced that the technician noticed was showing signs of cracking. Yeah, for observant eyes.

6. Visits with friends. There are many ways to visit such as texting, writing an email, or a handwritten snail mail note or letter, making a phone call, taking a friend to lunch, going to a museum or park together, or just visiting with one another at your home or their home. I'm thankful for friends to visit and for those who visit me.

7. Finding several good clothing buys at a thrift shop. Shopping for clothes isn't nearly as enjoyable for me as it once was, so being able to find something that I liked and which fit was a plus!

8. Discovering a mini-mall in a small town. It was a serendipitous find, and one to which I will return. Small quiet shops within close proximity of each other was quite inviting.

9. A date with my husband. We went to see a new movie that just came out. The theater had very plush comfortable seats. It was a good thing that it was an action film, or I just might have fallen asleep, not because of the movie, but because the seats were that  comfortable.

10. Old photos. There is something about looking through old photos that stirs so many memories. I'm thankful for the challenge on the Finish the Sentence Friday blog hop this week where we were asked to share a photo and write about it.


6 comments:

  1. Number 1 is surely one of the best of things that, while we may not enjoy the basis for the event, when the outcome is as you describe, it's better than anything. Its better than feeling better, imo, because the uncertainty of a possibility has the entire future to draw from, so to know that there is not a problem where one seemed to be...excellent!
    Stitch in time, I believe is the saying that kinda applies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standing ovation for the clean bill of health! Worrying about health issues, for ourselves or others, can be one of life's biggest stressors.
    Having a good relationship with caregivers and feeling confident about being able to talk about her care plan hopefully lessens the worry about her. Being around animals no doubt can be therapeutic for some people and it sounds as if she and the other residents enjoyed the therapy animals. I wasn't aware that over stimulation could have a negative affect.
    I'm all for finding bargains at the thrift stores!
    You make me laugh at #9. Some of those seats in theaters nowadays are way too comfortable lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Being able to dismiss a health concern is welcomed.
      I suspect stimulating activites for those with advanced dementia or Alzheimers may have a different impact depending on the person and the day, and even the time of day. Maybe the basic personality could play a part too. There are just so many variables of this disease.
      Glad I could make you laugh about the theater seats.

      Delete
  3. I've gone to movies before where I've basically just paid to take a nap, so I can relate to your #9!

    Hurray for good health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't fall asleep this time, but if there hadn't been so much action in the film, I might have.

      Delete