Saturday, April 22, 2017

Ten Things of Thankful

This week has been a week of learning, trying, appreciation, and prayerfulness. I'll post some of those things for which I am grateful here and link to Josie's Ten Things of Thankful site.



Apple blossoms in the springtime

Our dishwasher decided to behave inappropriately, like going to a two-hour delay all on its own. After trying to discover the solution and none of it working, I got some recommendations for a repair service. A repairman phoned me after I scheduled the appointment. He just wanted to clarify the problem so if it was something that could be solved by him talking me through some steps, a service call wouldn't be needed. As it turned out, we will still need a house call, but I really appreciated the diligence of the repairman who called to try to save us the cost of a service call. In the meantime, we are handwashing the dishes. In reality, with the simplicity of the majority of our meals handwashing the dishes isn't that big of a deal, especially since my husband helps out. 

I no more had tucked away one manual when I needed to find another manual. (thanks for manuals) One day this week we had a robocall from the same number about every hour throughout the day. To my way of thinking, this was beyond annoying. It was harassment! I had never been one to block calls in the past, but I decided that this definitely warranted it. After finding the manual for our phone and following the directions, we at last were rid of that caller. The company she represented never calls the customers indicating the type of problem she said we had.

Trying to remember all those who could benefit from the prayers of others in their behalf has been a memory test for me lately, as there are so many people, all the way from babies to elderly, but I know they need the comfort that comes through their own prayers and from the prayers of friends, family and even those who are unknown to them. Sometimes there is little that one can do for someone other than pray, and I'm thankful that I do know the power of prayer to bring comfort and healing, if it be the Lord's will.

How times change! When I was in high school, our school newspaper was run off on either a either a spirit duplicator machine or a mimeograph machine. I'm not sure how they were reproduced when our children were in high school. Going forward in time, I received a Facebook post this week of one of our grandson's articles in his high school newspaper. The newspaper is only distributed online. I'm thankful for the internet which allows me to see and appreciate what is happening in the lives of our family.

After another appointment with the neuromuscular therapist this week, I decided to stop at the bakery next door to the therapist. I've resisted stopping there all these weeks, but I admit that wasn't the case this week. (I hadn't eaten breakfast before going to my appointment and would have settled for an egg and toast at home.) After I purchased two walnut/raisen sticky rolls, I headed home for my husband and I to enjoy them. My husband said they looked like the ones his mother used to make. (She had been a baker at a guest ranch.) Thankful for yummy rolls.

My paternal grandfather was born in a town that used to be called Osage Mission in Neosho County, Kansas. He was Catholic, and there was a mission there run by the Catholics. So you can image how my ears perked up when I listened to a podcast this week that was an interview with David Grann, author of Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. (He also wrote The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon.) The Osage moved from Kansas to Oklahoma and at one time were the wealthiest people in the entire world. This was a fascinating interview about people of the Osage Nation and some of the terrible crimes that were committed against them. (Click here to see the transcript of the podcast.) I'm thankful for authors and their diligent research to share a piece of history.


In a previous post I mentioned the free public domain digital images available at the New York Public Library, but this week I actually used one on my blog post. The is an interesting site to explore. In case there are some old sheet music collectors among my blog readers, there are many free public domain digital images of old music.

My husband and I seem to be on the same wave length so often. He frequently completes my sentences or provides an answer to a question I have only started to ask. Sometimes his answer isn't correct, because that wasn't what I was going to ask, but more times than not he is spot on. I love that about him. 

Remember to go visit Josie's site to see what other's have shared this week for their Ten Things of Thankful. While you are at it, ponder your own blessings and give thanks for them.







15 comments:

  1. Hi, Pat. Prayer is our most powerful instrument of change and a way to share love across the world. If I ever forget who I said I would pray for in my prayers, I am confident God knows my mind and my intention. Yummy cinnamon rolls. Sometimes you just have to eat cake. I try really hard to follow a healthy diet but sometimes. . . . I give you lots of credit for waiting this long to go into that bakery. I think the aromas of a bakery just have to be fattening. Very difficult to resist. I think I'll Google the Osage murders for some background information. Nice seeing you this week on the SSS and the TToT. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why, but the aromas normally associated with bakeries must be emitted but a very tall vent, because I never smell them from this bakery. I see them pulling out the bread, so I do know the break is actually baked there. They make the "very good for you" variations of bread, and then some of the yummy sweet rolls.
      Having a prayer always in my heart I think has a lot to do with my forgetfulness. :-)

      Delete
  2. "...a mimeograph machine."
    ayyiiee! talk about total sense memory. So long ago (and you had to wait for the ink to dry) and I would still totally recognize the smell. Says something, I suspect, that one of my most enduring memories (a lifetime distant) is that smell of mimeograph ink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that ink has a very distinctive smell!

      Delete
  3. The dishwasher broke down a long time ago here.

    :-)

    Love podcasts and authors and books of all kinds. That offering from the NYPL is pretty cool too.

    Aw, finishing each other's sentences. Sweet. Have a good week Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived without a dishwasher in the beginning of such things, but once I had one, it really seemed like such a wonderful appliance to have, especially when I used to suffer from eczema on my hands for so many years.
      Podcasts are a favorite of mine, especially when I am traveling in the car.

      Delete
  4. Learning to turn to prayer in situations where I feel helpless, or just want to help, has been the biggest blessing of my life. It grounds me and I know it makes a difference. I too pray for many throughout my day and night, and if it's something ongoing, I keep a list on my phone so I remain mindful of them and stay in touch.

    Appliances can somehow go rogue on us, such as your dishwasher creating it's own delay cycle. It is truly the rare repairman who would call and try to be of assistance. It is the thought that counts. I do some of our dishes by hand now too, especially from small simple meals. I admit that it is nice to just load and go sometimes though. :) Your husband is a sweetie for helping out, mine does as well, which is new to me and such a blessing. Work shared is so much nicer.

    Robocalls are so annoying! We have a landline phone for our security system, but do not use it otherwise. Yet we get multiple robocalls daily on it. Most often I don't answer unless it is persistant, but I wonder about people who are willing to earn a living participating in something so annoying. I try not to be grumbly when I finally reach a human to ask for removal from their calling list. I'm glad you were able to block that one!

    I have fond memories of mimeograph ink, and how wonderful those warm sheets felt and smelled! Putting out a school newspaper was a major production in those years and now the Internet and various publishing programs makes it so simple, and how wonderful for families and friends to be able to enjoy them! I follow the Red Cloud Indian School Newspaper on Facebook, and am always delighted to see familiar places and faces highlighted.

    Sticky rolls, how did you ever manage to hold out that long?? I love them, great memories of our small town bakery when I was growing up. Occasionally mom would pick up fresh ones for our breakfast... sugary delight! We have one bakery here that makes them, it is best I don't even venture down that out-of-the-way street. :-)

    Even growing up in the Midwest, I am not familiar with the Osage Nation history, and now you've created an interest that I will pursue. Thank you! I am also thankful for authors that present history accurately.

    I love that you and your husband are able to complete each others thoughts and answer questions before they are fully stated! That testifies to the mental and spiritual connection you share after years of marriage. It tells us more about what real love is, it is coming to know your partner that well!

    Blessings to you in the week ahead, thank you so much for sharing your TToT with us!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your wonderful comments. I must admit, I probably wouldn't have known anything about the Osage, if I hadn't become familiar with some of the details of where my ancestors lived.

      Delete
  5. My dishwasher is still broken . . . patiently handwashing each and every spoon, plate . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we just learn to live without some things for a while. I remember when our TV needed repair when our children were little, we decided not to fix it and just live without one --- for many years. There was a much calmer atmosphere in our home without one. We have one now.

      Delete
  6. What fun! Neosho County is just a bit over two hours from my home. I am so glad you included that link because I want to dig deeper.
    Aren't the simple treats the best? Like bringing home those rolls and finding that they reminded your husband of his mom. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days, I hope to visit that area of Kansas. It would be nice to visit the areas where my ancestors have lived.

      Delete
  7. Now THAT is good service. A company trying to help you fix a problem without a service call first. What a rare thing!
    There is power in prayer, no matter who is saying them.
    Thank you for the link to the NY Library Pat. I will be sure to visit :)
    Let's hope stand alone bakeries never go out of "style". Grocery store bakery departments don't even come close to walking through the doors of a local bakery...now my sweet tooth is acting up lol
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the NYPL site. A few years back I visited that library. I was fascinated by the architecture of the building.

      Delete