Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Six Sentence Stories - Kettle

Because my mind was focused on other things the past couple of week, I have been missing in action at one of my favorite blog hops, but now I am back. I am linking this post to Six Sentence Stories - Kettle hosted by Denise of Girlie on the Edge's Blog



Thelma and Wilma had overheard some of the women eating in the booth next to them about their plans to attend the big estate sale at the old Rodgers’ place which once had been ten miles from town, but now was at the edge of the expanding city limits.

Their eyes lit up at the mere possibility of browsing at an estate sale again and immediately began trying to finagle a way to get Rosemary, their young niece, to drive them there, not to buy anything, but just to look and to remember things from yesteryears and maybe see and talk with John or Roy who were said to still be living at the old homestead.


Unlike some of the Rosemary’s friends who had trouble knowing how to communicate with oldsters and became quickly bored, she enjoyed their bantering, and quickly accepted their request and looked forward to the promised stop for a banana split on the way back.


Rosemary enjoyed hearing her aunts comment about different items for sale in the old home, but when their voices became more subdued as they looked at an old white pail with a red-rimmed lid and a red wooden handle setting next to a dented and pitted aluminum kettle on the kitchen counter, she mentally took note  and decided to forgo any questioning at the moment.


Although John and Roy were there, they were both helping customers, and had only indicated with smiles and nods that they had seen Thelma and Wilma.


Once back inside the car, the answer to Rosemary’s unasked question became crystal clear when with a humph Wilma said, “Well I never. . .Sarah would have been so embarrassed that her old chamber pot was so so brazenly displayed near her cooking pots.”

28 comments:

  1. Confusing a chamber pot for a cooking pot can be embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine the unwary buyer showing off her new purchase!

      Delete
  2. Rosemary seems to be very perceptive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol

    fun Six, nicely done with the punchline as total surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, totally not expecting that ending :D I like how you lead the reader in one direction and totally sideswipe them at the end, lol
    While no doubt fiction, it's refreshing to think there are still young people around who enjoy the company of "older" folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It really is nice to see the younger people who enjoy interacting with the older crowd.

      Delete
  5. Oh, dear. That could be quite the mess. There was a restaurant in Tampa that had hundreds of chamber pots hanging from the ceiling. It was a British Pub. Mushy peas and all. Great fish n chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting idea for pub decor. 🙃

      Delete
  6. Love the unstated sense of history between the older characters and the house. Learnt a new word too - 'finagle' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose this story with these characters could be expanded to discover some of that history between the characters mentioned. Glad you learned a new word. I too enjoy discovering new words (to me) as I read the blog posts of others.

      Delete
  7. Delightful story, Pat! I could easily envision them enjoying the walk-through and spotting familiar items, and the ending was just superb! It left me with a big smile on my face, nodding in agreement! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit, when I read about the white pot with the red rim, I did wonder. . . LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out some of the images of such things online. Pretty amazing and makes me wonder about some of "vases" I have seen in antique stores that were probably something else.

      Delete
  9. Oh, dear. Well, at least she wasn't there to see her kin make such a mistake. Such is what happens when a new generation does not know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there are many people who do not recognize the purpose of things belonging to their older relatives. Some things just don't come up in every day conversations. HaHa

      Delete
  10. Can imagine my Nana in this story 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were able to see her a part of this scene.

      Delete
  11. That was and enjoyable, nostalgic and very funny read, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm showing my age when I immediately thought it was a chamber pot. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I totally understand how sometimes age gives it away.

      Delete
  13. Yes, that seems a bit of bad form having those two pots sharing space. But a lovely day had by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both were containers and probably seemed the right thing to do at the time. HaHa

      Delete
  14. hahahaha! That's great! I love estate auctions, and you might remember that I bought an enamelware urinal at one a year ago - it's on my dining room table with flowers in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that urinal, Dyanne, and so easy to grab in an emergency. HaHa

      Delete