Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Six Sentence Stories - Watch

Many have been waiting and watching to find out what is going to happen next in their home town or state. The news seems to fluctuate, so I am taking a break to write a little story to post to a blog hop. Denise of Girlie on the Edge's Blog provides a link so you can read the stories of the other participants too. Six Sentence Stories - Watch.



Remember when we went to the museum the other day with grandpa and he pointed to the pocket watch hanging from a chain in the display case, and how he told you his grandpa had one just like it? Well, see that little pocket right there on your blue jeans?

This?

That’s it, and way back before there were cars, they started sewing a little pocket on the front of each pair of blue jeans just so there was a place to tuck a pocket watch to keep it handy and safe.

So THAT’S why that pocket is there! Hey, maybe I could shove the 50 cent pieces grandpa gave me in there, and maybe we could go to the five and dime store, and maybe I could buy a bag of marbles, okay mom?

14 comments:

  1. Your story prompted me to google when pockets were first sewn onto jeans to hold pocket watches. Apparently, Levi's used them in 1890! Talk about an enduring style feature :D I can't think of any jeans I've ever worn that didn't have that little "pocket watch pocket".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that is kind of amazing how long that little pocket has continued to stay put. I suppose the date it was first introduced is kind of neck and neck with when the first automobile was introduced depending on which country one is referring to. Some of the blog info on the Levi Strauss site seemed to vary a bit as to the exact date the pocket was first used.

      Delete
  2. ayyiiee! 'Five and Dime'!! I remember as well as I remember buying a plastic bag (with cardboard hanger holding it closed) of marbles.

    Excellent use of the Way Back machine this week, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clark. The Five and Dime was a fascinating place to explore!

      Delete
  3. I see what you did there with that intro. Nicely done.

    Good six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you enjoyed the trip back in time.

      Delete
  4. I never knew what that little pocket was for and am even more surprised that I never asked anyone about it. That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were probably just more curious about other things, Susan. Some questions don't even come to mind until much later I guess.

      Delete
  5. Aah yes! The Ben Franklin store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first memories of such were the F W Woolworth Five and Dime stores. Although I do see that the Ben Franklin stores existed at the same time, I don't think there was one in the town of my first memories.

      Delete
  6. An excellent use for that fun little pocket, i like to tuck a little something in there when i can. Fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those little pockets, even though I don't carry a pocket watch. Good for Chapstick. LOL And I remember the five and dimes...good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the right size for Chapstick!
      I think what I liked about those stores when I was a kid, was that everything was so reachable, most things were easily accessible.

      Delete