Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Six Sentence Stories - Strip

Prompts for blog hops sometimes cause a stalemate for me. It is either that or a number of other reasons, some of which are out of my control. Whatever the reason, I have not linked up at the Six Sentence Stories blog hop for a while, but today I am back. (I hope I haven't put our host, Denise of Girlie on the Edge's Blog in a state of shock.) I'm linking my Six Sentence Stories - Strip at her site. Go take a peek (no pun intended) to see what other bloggers will write in response to the cue.



As she considered the possibilities for making the small room look bigger and brighter, she decided that rolling paint over the wallpaper would be the best. It would be easier in the long haul than stripping off the old layers. Walls the color of a robin’s egg and new sheer Priscilla curtains would lighten up the room where they would gather around the wood stove their first winter on the farm.


Little did she know how quickly that stove would become her inanimate enemy in the future. While some women gave their cars names like NellieBelle or Lucy, she would, not so lovingly, refer to the stove as Behomoth.  True to her nature though, exclamations of anger would stay tucked safely away behind her sealed lips, then and in the future, for good reasons.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice six! I think Behomoth is a perfect name for the stove, I lived with a wood burner for six years, and I'll tell you it would have felt loved if that's the worst I called it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! We replaced our wood stove with a pellet stove. It was a good idea at the time, but as one ages, lifting the bags does become problematic, so maybe it is time for another change.

      Delete
  2. well, since we're sharing cast iron stove experiences! lol. no, I did not grow up with one (at least that I can remember) but for my years fishing, the boat had a big oil-fired stove. Especially this time of year, going down into the focsle the warmth it gave off. very pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand wanting to get warm when out fishing, especially if you were fishing in really cold circumstances.

      Delete
  3. My grandmother lived with my aunt in her later years. Aunt Bertie had a wood burning cast iron stove in the kitchen and a pot-bellied wood burning stove to heat the house. It was always a thousand degrees in the place. I was less struck by the behemoth but by the wall paper stripping. I'd rather take a beating! I hate removing wallpaper! Good six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old cast iron stoves are amazing. I know someone who who is years younger than I am and has a cast iron stove that she uses to cook her meals. She prefers them.

      I've never removed wallpaper, but have heard many a story of what it is like tackle some of those projects.

      Delete
  4. So glad you're back and sharing a 6 today, Pat :)
    First off, I don't blame her for painting over the wallpaper! What an unpleasant task, stripping off old wallpaper. The blue sounds nice, calming.
    Behomoth. Named so for it's appetite??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise.
      Blue ranks high in my favorite color list too.
      Behomoth because of appetite and bursts of unexpected smoke into the room!

      Delete
    2. Oh, my. I would not be happy about the unexpected smoke!

      Delete
  5. Wood burning stoves leave a residue on everything — that’s why people did spring cleaning. Excellent six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The guide in a historic home I toured mentioned the wallpaper that had not been cleaned in some of the rooms.

      Delete
  6. My grandmother had several wood burning stoves in her home; Kitche, main room, and the bed room. They were indeed behemoths! So glad to have you back and with this nice six to boot!

    ReplyDelete