Monday, March 19, 2018

Ten Things of Thankful

Since I last posted a little over a week ago, there has been much to be grateful for even though there have been some thoughts of sadness and concern for others during this time. That is one reason I keep showing up here. Writing this thankful post each week is one way to keep me focused on the positive. I'm linking my post to Josie Two Shoe's Ten Things of Thankful blog hop and encourage you to either join myself and others in writing a blog post and linking up or at least reading some of the thoughts others have shared. Even on the bleakest of days, there is something that is a sign that there is goodness in this world and in people.





1. Reminders of the importance of every single human life. We attended a funeral recently of someone we have known over two/thirds of our lives. He touched many lives and he and his wife went about doing good. It was touching to see how many people from many places came to remember him and support his family.

2. Recognitions of people who have accomplished what would have seemed to be the impossible. I attended a surprise party to recognize Wendy Garrett who has overcome a lot these past few years.



3. Discovering another relative thanks to utilizing some information I learned about GedMatch at RootsTech recently. Since finding her, I learned some information that I would not have known had it not been for some sources she had.

4. Celebrating a 90th birthday of a friend. A few of us met for lunch and to celebrate a special friend's birthday.

5. Getting an estimate on some pruning of trees on our property. The pruning will be done next month.

6. Knowing of the well being of family and friends via texts, phone calls, and messenger this past week, as they traveled, faced difficult situations, were concerned about hospitalizations of loved ones, facing bad weather, etc.

7. Getting a haircut.  After some time of letting my hair grow and watching it become bushier and harder to control, I opted to go back to the shorter style. I had to laugh when the woman cutting my hair said after trying a couple of hair products on one part of my hair, "It's just going to do what it wants to do." I was hoping the experience would be a little more helpful, but instead she said she was going to go home and google it. (Actually I'd already tried that and hadn't found anything helpful.) So, my hair has a mind of its own, and now it has been confirmed.

8. There was a Women's Conference at my church on Saturday celebrating the anniversary of the Relief Society. This women's organization is 176 years old.  I appreciate all the work and preparation that was made to truly make the program one to be remembered.

9. Getting the tax papers (ours and Mom's) ready to turn in to the accountants. I'm always glad to have that project done.

10. Observing short-eared owls about 50 miles south of here. These owls have been observed in a particular location for a couple of months now, and my husband has been able to get some great photos of them. I went with him one day recently. It was a beautiful day for a drive and for me to see what he had been observing first hand.


6 comments:

  1. #5 is surely fun (not necessarily the expense part but), the 'after' of a large(r) scale project. Whether it's trees or bushes, the overall look of something as large as your yard or house or whatever it is you see when you drive up, when you alter that, the enjoyment continues after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope that will be the case. There is quite a lot that needs to be pruned.

      Delete
  2. I need a haircut very much - glad I have an appointment on Tuesday. Your post is like life - happy moments, sad moments, inspiring moments, monotonous moments (taxes). Would love to see one of your hub's photos of the owls. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoy your haircut as much as I'm enjoying mine. It is like a weight off my shoulders, because my hair is so thick. I have it cut and thinned.
      I'll have to have my husband share one of his photos with me to post.

      Delete
  3. I love the fact that your hair has a mind of its own! I'm growing mine longer again as I miss being able to put it up when I can't be bothered doing much with it. It's great that you keep in touch with family and friends to check in on them...I think we often forget how appreciated that sort of contact is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list of thankfuls. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete