Sunday, January 28, 2018

Finish the Sentence Friday - Story behind the photo

We have a new prompt this week for this blog hop which has both a host and a co-host. This week we are to share a photo and the story behind it. If you choose to join in with this writing challenge click FTSF - Story behind the photo to link your post. Kenya Johnson at Sporadically Yours is the co-host and Kristi Campbell at Finding Ninee is the host. 







Century old bank book that belonged to my paternal grandpa

The photo of a bank book filled with some dates and balances from over a 100 years ago seem to be an indication of something about the man I called grandpa. The dates in the book don't cover very many years. It appears that some deposits were made and the balances from the statements were noted in the book, but whether this was a savings account or a checking account, I don't know. As to when money was moved into and out of the account it is a little confusing to me.

From the first census record succeeding those years I was able to determine where he and the family had lived. The census records also showed that he had a truck farm, so money in the account is most likely from earnings from the truck farm. I remember hearing stories about my grandparents growing grapes and drying them. They may have had some apricot and/or peach trees too, as many of the farms in the area did. The censuses indicated my grandpa was an employer, so they no doubt had a few farm hands.

Because the census designates the county and the district/town they lived in, I decided to do a Google search about the history of that particular place. This is where things got really interesting.

My grandparents had only a handful of photos from those years of living there, because their house had burned at a time yet to be determined by me. What photos they had were ones they had sent to a few family members, who in turn gave them back after the fire. (Note to self: Share family photos with others.) The number of photos they had fit into a small stationery box. For instance they only had a couple of pictures of my Dad as a young baby and a high school graduation photo of him.

Now we will go back to the google search mentioned above. One of the first things that popped up in my search was a site that had old photos taken of children in front of a school that my Dad had attended. The first photo was thought to have been taken around 1920. My Dad is no doubt in the photo, as his friend who was the same age and was the best man at my parents' marriage had been identified as being in the photo. A woman who lived next door to my grandparents had furnished some information concerning the history of the school for the website. According to the census, my Dad and his brother both attended school in 1920, so that means they both would have been in that photo, unless they were sick or absent that day. Without other photos of my Dad at a young age, it is difficult to know which boy he is in the photo, but for now I am just ecstatic to actually be able to see a photo that probably includes him. Sometimes the path to discovery is not straight!


What is the history about one of your photos, or as in my case, did your photo spur you on to discover other things?


8 comments:

  1. This is truly awesome and love that a Google search unearthed this for you. Definitely have always enjoyed seeing old photos and mementos from both my parents and even my grandparents that have remained in tact over the years. So, I truly am a big proponent in this here, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google is an excellent resource. This is also a testament of what is on the internet now that may not have been even ten years ago. Sometimes people think that because some relative worked for years doing research on the family, that there is nothing left to discover. Given the fact that so much has been digitized, etc., records that once would have taken years to find are now so much more accessible.

      Delete
  2. This is very cool Pat and that you can "reach back" via Googling. It's sad when memories are lost to a fire. I've lost digital pictures due to a hard drive crashing, and that's pretty devastating too. Thankfully some of the best of what was lost was at least shared on facebook, so I have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry that you have lost photos that way. That is such a hard lesson to endure. Hopefully you now have a way to prevent that kind of a loss again.

      Delete
  3. So cool! I gave my mom an Ancestry.com membership for the holidays, and she did the DNA test too. I'm hoping she will be able to connect with some distant relatives that she hasn't been able to find with the magic of Google.

    That bank book is in pretty good shape for being 100 years old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I hope you and your Mom will have fun finding distant relatives. The bank book has a leather cover.

      Delete
  4. Google is amazing. What a cool photo/story! My grandfather was born in 1912! I have a photo of him when he was two and I like to put it side by side with photos of my son as a two-year-old. Practically twins! I'd never know that without that preserved photo from 1914.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the photo/story.

      Isn't that fun to see the resemblances among the different generations!

      Delete