Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Six Sentence Stories - Thumb

This is a "little" post for the blog hop Six Sentence Stories - Thumb. Thanks to our host, Denise of Girlie on the Edges Blog I did a little ruminating before finally figuring out where I wanted to go with this prompt. I did enjoy the journey though, so it was worth the extra time involved.


He was quite a character, legendary to be exact, an extraordinary feat considering his size.

If it hadn’t been for Merlin, well who knows, if he would have even existed. 

Infertility seemed to have been the parents’ cross to bear but Merlin was known throughout the land for his magical powers, and Old Thomas  thought it was worth a try for his  wife  to schedule a consultation.

When Merlin learned of their desire for a son, even if he was no bigger than a thumb, he knew this would be unlike any of his other magical endeavors.

The baby, aptly named as Tom, after his father, and surname, Thumb, well because of the obvious, had many adventures and became a favorite in the court of King Arthur.

The Queen  became jealous of all the attention given to Tom, and  one thing led to another until he died from the poisonous bite of an arachnid.

15 comments:

  1. damn... I believe I need to good look up the story... I thought I knew the story of Tom Thumb, but my reading enjoyment might have inadvertently been abridged by Disney and Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Disney version appears to be a take off of the OTHER Tom Thumb. I actually started reading newspaper articles about that Tom Thumb first, but then way back in the recesses of my mind, I recalled some stories from childhood. That led me in a different direction. Oh, how easily my mind can be distracted. LOL

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, Tom Thumb. I'd totally forgotten about him.
    Great six, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to go with Tom, but got no where. Not his type today I guess. HA!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...good job. hit the button too quickly

      Delete
    2. I have made that mistake more than once, of hitting the button too soon. HaHa
      Thank you.

      Delete
  4. He died of a SPIDER BITE?! I guess when you're very small, a spider bite would be enough to kill you! Great 6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Pretty frightening thought, especially if it was one of the larger spiders.

      Delete
  5. Jealousy is a wicked sister to madness. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. Jealousy has ruined many a relationship.

      Delete
  6. And you in turn sent me on a journey! Funny, I really wondered if someone would write about Tom Thumb. I know the name from childhood but that's it so thank you for the "history" lesson. The spider was probably bigger than he was, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I respond to a prompt I find myself wondering how many others will write along the same line. It is surprising how many SSS are shared without very much overlapping of story lines.
      Hope you enjoyed the history journey.

      Delete
  7. You have me wondering if the queen put the spider in Tom's bed. He deserved a better fate. Wonderful story, Pat.

    ReplyDelete