Friday, May 24, 2019

Ten Things of Thankful

There are so many things for which to be thankful and sometimes in the midst of being thankful you may find yourself laughing. 

For instance, this week when I was driving to pick up a friend, I was hearing a sound which I thought was coming from my air vents. (A year or so ago, we had a problem with some mice getting into our car via the air vents.) My thought was, Oh, no. Here we go again. When I got to my friends house and I turned off the car, I no longer heard the suspect sound. Later as I was returning home I realized that the sound was not from mice moving around, but from the styrofoam blocks jostling inside a large plastic bag in the back of my car. I was planning to take them to a collection center the next day. Whew, what a relief, and it was definitely worth a good laugh and a lot of gratitude for no mice in the car!

Here are my Ten Things of Thankful for this week. Thanks to Kristi of Thankful Me, we have a central place to link our posts for this blog hop. Click the link and you will be able to quickly traverse across the internet to read the other bloggers' TToT posts.



1. Being able to access online the most viewed speeches from the university some of our children and grandchildren attended  (I didn’t know that there was a link to find a list of the talks starting with the most viewed.)

2. Podcasts that mention something that I find interesting (See #1)

3. Being invited to attend an activity of playing some games with a group of young teenage girls who wanted to get to know the older people in our congregation at church. A couple of the girls even made the delicious desserts that were served. I especially enjoyed getting to know a little more about these young women. Sometimes when people get older and all their children and their families do not live nearby, it is nice to be invited to an activity like this.

4. Making significant progress in a cleanup project (think major spring cleaning in one section of the house)

5. A phone call telling us that everything is on schedule for getting our new siding and windows

6. Paint chips
The photo doesn't depict the colors on these paint chips as well as I had hoped. At this point in time, I think we are going to choose Malted Milk. The chip in the photo looks like it is kind of gray, but it really appears as a very light cocoa color.

Three paint chip cards spread
out in my hand like playing cards.

7. Being able to learn the identity of a yellow flower (actually a noxious weed) that has made its appearance on our property
If the green leaves spread out around the flower were yellow like the blossom, they would resemble the rays of the sun.


Holding the blossom of the weed,
Western Salsify or Goat's Beard;
also known as Yellow Salsify
or Oyster Plant 

8. Having a calendar app that now has all our events on it
As strange as it may seem, I had still been referring to a calendar hanging on the wall, and/or a small calendar booklet in my purse. Sometimes I would add something to the one in my purse and then not remember to add it to the calendar on the wall, or vice versa. I think you get why this might be problematic. I will probably still add events on the paper calendar for the benefit of the other person in this family who does not have a calendar app.

9. Being needed and my husband and I being able to help

10. Garden nurseries filled with all sorts of flowers in bloom
with the added advantage that most of plants are set on tables which are at a height that doesn’t require one to squat down or bend over very far to smell the flowers



A beautiful sunset this past week

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted the paint chips! I forgot to ask you what color of siding you were getting. I hope that everything goes smoothly with that, and that you are happy with the results. I bet the house will look so different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope things go smoothly too, but since I didn't drop off to sleep quickly tonight, I think I might be a little up tight about all we need to get done tomorrow outside before they show up on Tuesday. Hopefully responding to a few comments here will make me sleepy. :/

      Delete
  2. Getting young and old together at church to play games and get to know each other better sounds like a fabulous idea!

    Good luck with the house work, i hope it turns out as beautifully as you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great idea to mingle the age groups and get some conversations going between the two.

      Thanks for the encouraging words. I much prefer small projects instead of big projects, but even big projects can be tackled "one bite at a time."

      Delete
  3. I really relate to #8 Pat. That was me for the longest time! Don't know why I resisted. Now, I put everything on the calendar in my phone. But I kind of miss the old fashioned way - I've got a small monthly 2019 calendar book but sadly, not much written in it :D
    That noxious weed is kind of cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of crazy how some of us resist some types of change. I'm glad I am not the only one.

      I learned another interesting thing about that weed. . .when the sun is right overhead, the blossom closes up! Very strange.

      Delete
  4. Transition to digital is scary. I finally stopped buying the calendar this year. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the paper calendars have such great photographs. Maybe the artists and photographers will sell twelve page booklets of their art and photos minus the calendar. . .

      Delete
  5. sorry for the delay still working on getting my new computer to act like my old one (in the good sense of the word)

    ... great photos (but what I really envy are your (photo) captions/descriptions)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your new computer will be "at one" with each other soon. Then all will be right with the world. :-)

      Glad you liked the photo captions.

      Delete
  6. What luck that your car noise was something innocent! I love #3! What a wonderful activity for everyone involved! Choosing colors for things that are going to be around for a long time, like walls or siding, stresses me out! I keep things on a calendar app, but I still want (and use) a paper calendar that hangs in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the innocent sounds of styrofoam rubbing. . .so much better than mice.

      Choosing colors for inside or outside the home is challenging, especially when there is such a large selection of colors.. So much depends on the lighting. Fortunately there is no Home Owners Association in our neighborhood that stipulates houses need to be painted in certain colors, although I'm pretty sure the color we will probably be choosing would not be a problem.

      Having a visible paper calendar is still going to be seen in our kitchen too. :-)

      Delete