Thursday, August 5, 2021

Ten Things of Thankful

What has been happening in your neck of the woods? Whatever it is, I hope that you have been able to sort through the thick and thin of it to realize some of the blessings. It is worth the effort. It is time to link up to the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop hosted by Dyanne of Backsies Is What There Is Not.  


1. My husband got some good news from the doctor. 


2. We didn’t need to buy a new hose nozzle as I had thought was going to be the case. Vic showed me how simple it was to get to the inside of the nozzle and remove some debris that was clogging some tiny little holes where the water comes out.


3. Part of our lane that has caused some challenges for some drivers  over the years, now has some asphalt pavement.


Asphalt pavement on lane

4. Several times this week I had a yellow jacket or possibly a paper wasp land on my wrist and I was able to brush it away without getting stung.


5. We already had some spray available to use on some small nests that paper wasps were beginning to build under the eaves of the house, and I was able to hit the nests on the first aim!


6. It was time for a hair cut, and I was able to get an appointment scheduled for later the same day I called.


7. A fire that quickly started from a blown transformer this week was reported right away.  The local fire department arrived quickly to put out the fire before it spread to the properties across the road. As dry as everything is, I was glad for the quick responses from everyone involved. (This happened a few miles away from us, so we were not in danger, but it probably was a huge concern for those near the fire.)


8. Barberry plants seem to have survived well over the years on our property in spite of some cold winters, hot summers, and browsing deer. They are pretty low maintenance and disease resistant. They have thorns, and although deer do eat some plants with thorns, they don’t eat these.


Two barberry plants side by side, a red
one on the left and a green one on the right.
The image was taken in November a
couple of years ago. These plants are still
surviving even though the weather
is hot and dry.

9. One evening I saw what looked very much like a junco with but only one lone long tail feather. Since I’d never seen a junco exactly like that, I wanted to take a photo, but when I came back with the camera, it had flown away. Thanks to the internet I was able to find a photo of a molting junco that looked like the one I’d seen. Usually juncos have other feathers that sort of hide the white tail feather(s).


10. The other orchid is blooming.


Red orchid blossom



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. So many blessings, especially that the fire was put out so quickly. The last thing you want is a fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimi. Fires are raging in many parts of the west. This was one was just a teeny one in comparison, but I am grateful for those who notice and respond immediately when there is an emergencies.

      Delete
  2. #1 YAY! Whew on catching the fire early on. Sounds like a lotta lovely thankfuls are blooming in your life's yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear Vic got good news at the doctor! Don't you feel accomplished when you learn how to fix something yourself? I'll bet that asphalt is helpful and keeps cars from skidding on the loose gravel. We have a lot of wasps around our house, including mud daubers and paper wasps, and they're always hellbent on getting INSIDE the house, especially in the fall and early winter. I've only been stung by one a couple of times in my life (and never in my house; it was years ago), but I well remember how badly it hurts! Seems to go right to the bone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good news. As to the yellow jackets, they can be quite aggressive if you are in their territory. Many years ago, my husband was using a weed eater trying to clear a really brushy area on the property where we had just moved. Little did he know that there was a ground nest of yellow jackets there. They came out fighting and literally chased him all the way to the house with a few making it in the door when he did! And yes, he did get stung. Same thing happened to me one time when they got into my hair. Horrible experiences.

      Delete
  4. Excellent on Item #1
    Item #3!! New asphalt!! (The fun of driving over smoother than it will ever again be roadways. Nice!)
    Have an excellent week (yeah, I know...just checked the day of the week...halfway over! ayiiee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not nearly as much dust from the traffic on the lane now. 🙂
      I'm never one to turn down wishes for an excellent week, no matter when the wishes come.

      Delete