Saturday, November 5, 2016

Ten Things of Thankful

This week has flown by quite quickly, too quickly.  Once November begins it seems there is never enough time to do all the things one needs to do leading up to the holidays.  There is always time to be thankful.  This post is being linked to the blog hop Ten Things of Thankful.

1 After a dry summer, we had the wettest October here since they began keeping records in 1892.  We had 11.25" of rain during the month.  With the beginning of November we have had some wonderful fall days with very comfortable temperatures, shirtsleeve weather and glorious sunshine, that was until today when the skies opened up big time and has pretty much rained hard all day.  I'm thankful for both the rain and the sunshine.

2 - 3 Because of feeling physically better the past week, I was able to do some tasks I haven't been able to do for some time.  To have sunshine streaming through the windows not only revealed some of those cobwebs that hang out in vaulted ceilings, but I had energy to use the tool for reaching those areas to bring down the "real life" post Halloween decorations.  When it is cloudy, I rarely seem to see those things.  I'm thankful for better health, and for task appropriate tools.

4 It has been many months since I've sat at the computer to help do indexing of genealogical records, but with better health, I thought I'd give it a try again, with note to self, not to overdue.  I am helping index marriage records of states in the United States.  I look at digitized records online and key in the information from the records into the online form provided.  Go to this link to learn more about this indexing project.  I'm thankful for the power of many to complete seemingly enormous tasks.

5 Now that we have damp weather and cooler temperatures in the forecast, we are starting up our pellet stove.  I'm thankful that we have this stove that we can use to heat our home.

6 We have decided to invest in some solar panels and have started that process, so this coming spring we should begin to see some benefits from that, if I understand everything right.  I'm thankful for my husband's understanding about the innovations that make use of natural renewable resources, like sunshine.

7  I learned of a new blog challenge.   I'm thankful because this urges me to reach out and consider things that I can do each day to help someone even in small way.   Click here to see Kristi's thankful acts challenge at thankfulme.net.

8 My husband was attending an event today with some friends, so I took the time to venture out to some craft fairs.  There were certain items that seemed to be displayed at each one, but occasionally I'd see something a little unusual that would catch my eye. I'm thankful for the creative talents of others.

9 - 10 One day this week I invited a friend to go to the Portland Temple.  I so enjoyed visiting with her as we travelled and just having the time to "catch up on life."  I'm thankful for good friends, and for the peace I feel when I am in the temple.  Sometimes the world can seem hectic, and being some place where you can feel peace is a blessing.

Portland Temple






14 comments:

  1. Peace is a blessing, wherever you find it. I laughed about the real-life Halloween decorations. Sounds like you are full of good and productive energy. Solar panels interest me. Renewable energy is good for the earth and our pocketbooks (or so I've heard). Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace is a blessing. Good productive energy is what I'm aiming for again this week. We've talked about solar panels before, but had never taken that route since we live in a passive solar home. This will just take things one step more in the direction we are aiming. I hope you also have a good week.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I can just picture you chasing down those cobwebs! You and your duster go hand-in-hand, just like Mrs. Harvey and her weed-pulling screwdriver. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that you would see that picture. :-)

      Delete
  3. the solar panels sound exciting. the advances they've made since the early days where they took up half a roof just to help provide some of the hot water used in a house, to now where you can get electricity directly (and even store it in batteries, very cool.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there have been a lot of advancements since those early days. Our solar panels will be on the ground.

      Delete
  4. Better health is always a thankful and I agree with both you and Val, finding peace no matter where, is truly a blessing.
    I love that you are getting solar panels. In my dream house/homestead, I'm totally off grid :D
    I always enjoyed reading Mother Earth News magazine. Lots of great ideas and articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took the Mother Earth News magazine for many years, but no longer take it. I looked at one in an office recently. It wasn't nearly as thick as I remembered them being in the past, but still full of interesting articles.

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of rain! I have a feeling we could probably use some of that because I can't think when it last rained. The Temple really does give the impression of being in the heavens, doesn't it? So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we are still alternating between heavy rain and sunny days. After yesterday's deluge, we had blue skies, sunshine, and billowy white clouds for over half the day today, and no rain.

      I think the temples are very pretty too.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are feeling well enough to go after those cobwebs. Isn't it funny how they seem to appear overnight? It gets tiring to have rain, rain, rain, but it sure does make the air smell fresher! And do you go to craft shows and think "I could do that!" and then, of course, you never do it? Yeah, me, either....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The air does smell fresher after the rain. Some people seem to know when a thunder storm and accompanying rain storm are approaching by the smell in the air. I recognize that smell. I just assumed everyone did, but apparently not.
      Yes to "I could do that!" Then there is the question, but would I really, considering the speed I might proceed between now and when I might want to give it as a gift.

      Delete
  7. Yes to creativity and peace. Also, good for you to be investing in solar panels, if you can. We will get to where these things are more common. I am sure it's only a matter of time. Sunlight is precious and valuable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than ever I feel that need for peace. I'm grateful for the sunshine today to lift my spirit.

      Delete