Wednesday, September 9, 2015

TJ's Household Haiku Challenge - Recipes

This post is being linked up to the blog hop TJ's Household Haiku Challenge - Recipes.

Who was Lizzie Hill
the name, below Thickened Rice,
o'er the recipe?


To learn more about Lizzie Hill, scroll down to the last photo and my comments following the photos.



The recipes below are from the book shown above.

This Pickled Eggs recipe reminds me of one my paternal grandmother used to make.

The 1, 2, 3, 4, Cake is one I used to make often.

I made the Thickened Rice often.  It is a real comfort food.
My curiosity was piqued.  Who was Lizzie Hill?  Would I be able to discover more about her by using my genealogy skills?  

In this particular search, with a little unraveling of the clues from the census records, a death record, and the use of Ancestry.com and familysearch.org, I learned that this Lizzie Hill was the niece of  Mrs. Frances E. Owens shown on the title page shown above.  Lizzie was AKA Bettie A. Hill and Atta Elizabeth Hill.  She was born in 1852 according to the headstone and born in Kentucky according to census records.  Her parents were John O. Hill and Duclina Owens.  She died  29 July 1933 and is buried in the Maysville Cemetery in Maysville, Mason County, Kentucky.  As far as I could tell, she never married and worked as a seamstress for her brother-in-law, Frederick (Fritz) Dressel who was a tailer.  

I'm thankful that she submitted the recipe for the Thickened Rice, and I'm thankful to know a little more about her.  Now I find myself wondering who some of the other submitters were.  What is their story?

2 comments: